View Full Version : looking for recommendations for an eBible, NIV preferred

phritosan
03-29-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm sure I can find an eBible through google, but if anyone has any recommendations, they would be much appriciated. A free copy would be ideal, but a nominal fee is acceptable.

Thanks.

Jon Westfall
03-29-2004, 09:18 AM
www.laridian.com has some widely used bible software, and an niv edition.

dean_shan
03-29-2004, 09:43 AM
I use OliveTree (http://www.olivetree.com/). They have free translations and pay tranlations for the newer ones (NIV, CEV, etc) I like them a lot.

gvanjr
03-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Another vote for Olive Tree...

Jon Westfall
03-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Has anyone ever found a free version of NAB?

Possum48
03-29-2004, 07:36 PM
used Olive Tree on my Palm and it worked fine. When I got my first PPC I gave Laridian a try and really liked it better.

But you are safe with either one.

flooder
03-30-2004, 02:31 PM
I believe that this one is all free.

http://www.e-sword.net/pocketpc/downloads.html

I have not used it. I am a big Laridian fan. I use it so much that I don't mind pay for it.

MLO
03-30-2004, 05:21 PM
I believe that this one is all free.

http://www.e-sword.net/pocketpc/downloads.html

I have not used it. I am a big Laridian fan. I use it so much that I don't mind pay for it.

I've used all of the bible software, and this one is, hands-down, the best one out there.

redifrogger
03-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Is it just me, or does e-sword not have the NIV and New King James Version (not Modern King James)? :? Those are the two translations I prefer and why I bought Laridian, which is an awesome application.

flooder
03-30-2004, 09:28 PM
Is it just me, or does e-sword not have the NIV and New King James Version (not Modern King James)? :? Those are the two translations I prefer and why I bought Laridian, which is an awesome application.

I am pretty sure that both of those versions have license haggles. I don't think you are going to find a legal 'free' version of those translations. Well at least until they fall into the pubilc domain.

redifrogger
03-30-2004, 09:33 PM
redifrogger wrote:
Is it just me, or does e-sword not have the NIV and New King James Version (not Modern King James)? Those are the two translations I prefer and why I bought Laridian, which is an awesome application.

I am pretty sure that both of those versions have license haggles. I don't think you are going to find a legal 'free' version of those translations. Well at least until they fall into the pubilc domain.

That's kinda what I figured - I'm sticking with Laridian. :wink:

Lex
03-30-2004, 11:22 PM
OliveTree and eSword have tried to offer the NIV, and if my experience with Zondervan is the same as theirs, they probably didn't even get an email response.

I'm just a small potato customer who used to prefer the NIV and Zondervan wouldn't respond to several email inquiries. I used their published email address.

I really like the ESV now !
:)

pphilipp
04-02-2004, 05:12 PM
I've used both Olivetree and Laridian for several years now. Olivetree is fantastic for a free app, though you would have to pay for the NIV module. Laridian goes far beyond anything else out there! It is so good that I haven't used my Windows or Mac bibles for a long time. Their HPC version has so many features that with the right modules it competes and beats many (most?) apps for any platform out there, period. I use the commentaries, dictionaries and concordances for some incredibly easy and accurate bible studies. I highly recommend it.

Lex
04-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Laridian offers NIV, OliveTree does not.

OliveTree has not been given permission by Zondervan to offer the NIV. Who knows why? It would only sell more copies.

darrylb
04-05-2004, 08:25 AM
Sigh... if only Laridian offered the Net Bible :cry:

www.bible.org

tanalasta
04-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Laridian pocketbible is brilliant :) Comes highly recommended for those who want a study bible with NIV/ESV/any other translation not available free from olivetree.

You can also get the Life-application study notes (a review can be found in PPCT somewhere) which are identical to the print version. And all-in-all it's cheaper than buying a leather-bound print version.

Thing I love about it is not only can I now carry my bible in my pocket 24/7 but read it in the dark and the search function is better than a concordance anyday :)

Anthony Caruana
04-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Another vote for Laridian here.

MLO
04-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Sigh... if only Laridian offered the Net Bible :cry:

www.bible.org

e-Sword has it....for free.

It's still my opinion that e-Sword is the best of all of them...and this is from personal experience. Granted, I tried Laridian a while ago...they may have added new features since I last experimented with their software

Ryan Joseph
04-05-2004, 04:14 PM
When my church switched from NIV to ESV (English Standard Version) last year, OliveTree was the only company that offered it. Now I believe Laridian has it, but since I'd already paid for OliveTree, I'm still using it. I really like it, personally.

And I think that having the complete text of the Bible is one of the best uses for a PPC. Being able to look up verses and do searches wherever I am is great! 8)

darrylb
04-05-2004, 07:46 PM
e-Sword has it....for free.

It's still my opinion that e-Sword is the best of all of them...and this is from personal experience. Granted, I tried Laridian a while ago...they may have added new features since I last experimented with their software

I know, Olivetree has it too. But like you I have an investment in Laridian, and more importantly I have very limited space on my Pocket PC. I dont want to have two Bible Reading packages.

Craig - are you there? Are there plans for the Net Bible?