View Full Version : How's The Cam

Dolphin
03-27-2004, 11:14 AM
How is the camera in the i700. Can it take videos. I have had my eyes on it since December of 2002 and am thinking of getting one. I'm tired of carrying around my Minolta XT, Cell phone and my iPaq 1945.

What do you think should I get one or is there something better coming up & around the corner?

Janak Parekh
03-27-2004, 05:28 PM
How the camera in the i700. Can it take videos.
It's pretty mediocre. I don't think it has any video capabilities. You can see an example of shots in my review (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,20748). In short, the i700's camera is a cute add-on, but nothing serious.

What do you think should I get one or is there something better coming up & around the corner?
There's always something better coming, but I don't know about the immediate future for Verizon.

--janak

MultiMatt
04-05-2004, 12:36 PM
The Korean MITs-400 (cousin to our i700) has video software that allows the camera to record video.

Technically, it is possible to install that software onto the i700 (called AnyCam), and it works. I know - I use it! :mrgreen:

Two bummers: all of the text that shows up displays funky because it's in Korean. That hasn't been a show-stopper for me, as the buttons provide all the function I need... I'm hoping someone can figure out how to correct that quirk!
Also, the video requires a special codec (it comes with the install files) to play it back on your PC in Media Player. That puts a kink in being able to simply share the video with others - they would have to install the codec (and I'm not sure if Media Player would go out and find this one on it's own...).

But, technically speaking, I have turned my i700 Pocket PC/Phone/Camera into yet another device - a camcorder!

You can get the files and some other notes here (http://www.pocketpclouisville.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=691).
It goes without saying - back up your files before installing and use at your own risk!. Personally, I've had ZERO issues with it...

Matt

Dolphin
04-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks Matt! :)

Janak Parekh
04-06-2004, 06:33 AM
Yes, thanks Matt. I'll post this when I have a few minutes (which is unlikely to be before this weekend).

--janak