View Full Version : Keyboard problem

Trimac20
03-27-2004, 06:17 AM
I just purchased the hp foldable keyboard (in fact I#m using it right now) btw if you#re wondering that wasn#t a typo but just one of the minor problems i#ve been having with this keyboard.

Firstly, before I begin I should bring this up. I have an ipaq 4350 (the one with the integrated keyboard) and the unit doesn#t seem to go fit properly into the slot, although looking on the box it looks pretty much the same. Anyway, I was wondering if effect it in anyway or contribute to the following problem?

Anyway, the first thing is that that when I press some keys a totally different symbol comes out! For example, when I try to type the inverted commas or (you know, the one just to the left of the colon/semi-colon key, ) the hash (#) key appears instead. Other examples, when I shift + 3 a hash symbol is supposed to come up but a pound (£) symbol comes up instead! I#m assumijng this has somethinjg to do with the keyboard button programming. Is there a way to fix this (ie. anything on the CD). Will re-installing the driver do anything?

Also, the shortcut keys (ie. the word shortcut, tasks, inbox.etc) don#t work, and when I press the Windows key to bring up the menu and then press it again to get rid of the menu it remains. Anyone know why? Thanks for your help.

Pat Logsdon
03-27-2004, 07:01 AM
I#m assumijng this has somethinjg to do with the keyboard button programming. Is there a way to fix this (ie. anything on the CD). Will re-installing the driver do anything?
It does sound like a driver problem to me. I'd uninstall the driver, soft reset, and reinstall it. If that doesn't fix it, it might be a conflict with the default text entry method.

You can try installing PHM Power Tools (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/PowerToys/) - one of the tools is "PHM Ext. Keyboard". This will effectively turn the software text entry off. If that doesn't work, I think you've got a bad unit and HP needs to replace it. :(

Trimac20
03-27-2004, 02:38 PM
:-) I managed to fix the problem. It turns out it was using UK settings instead of the required US settings. Re-installing it and selecting 'US English' solved the problem.