View Full Version : Wireless With 1945

Pocket Pc News
03-27-2004, 12:39 AM
Hey Guys I am new to this pocket pc i just got my 1945 and wanted to hook it up to my home network. I have a linksys router and i just want to sit upstarrs with it and play around anyway that I can do that?

Jason Dunn
03-27-2004, 01:09 AM
The 1945 doesn't have WiFi, so you either need to buy a WiFi SD card (easy to set up), or buy a Bluetooth dongle and attach it to your PC, then connect your Pocket PC to the desktop PC over Bluetooth and surf that way (more complicated to set up).

thendless
03-27-2004, 01:29 AM
You will need a bluetooth adapter to use on your computer to get it set up on the network. Best bet is to look for a class 1 BT dongle, it should cover your whole house (it does for me)

For a good guide on setting it up:

Peppe's Bluetooth Guide

http://home.comcast.net/~spam-target/

SHoTTa35
04-01-2004, 06:26 PM
i'd get the Sandisk Wi-Fi card since Bluetooth will limit your range.. and what's the point of wireless if you're stuck in a range shorter than a cat-5 cable would give you.

Don't get me wrong. I love bluetooth.. right now using a bluetooth headset with my T616. My PC also has bluetooth and so does my keyboard and mouse and soon printer too as well as digital camera ;) But Since you already have the Wi-Fi established get that instead...

I'm here itching for my nice check today so i can go buy my iPAQ 4155 but i dunno if i should just yet since i can get it online (refurbished but who cares) for $100 less!!! Damn... decisions decesions... get it now or wait couple days for the shippin?

lkawamot
04-01-2004, 07:16 PM
I'd recommend using Bluetooth. Range is really not a problem, but that depends on what kind of BT device you use and how the device's transmit and receive capabilities perform. BT dongles typically will have a lower performance than a stand alone access point (I said 'typically' -- yes, there are exceptions).

I bought a BT Access Point and placed it near the center of my apartment -- my g/f and I can connect from anywhere in the apartment with no problems. I can even connect to it from outside (which came in nicely when I locked myself out of the apartment and needed to look up info for a locksmith).

The advantages of BT is the low power consumption and that there is no additional card needed for the 1945. My g/f has a 1945 and her SD slot is used by a memory card for all her MP3s.

Another point is that even though I have several other units near mine, I don't have to worry so much about my bandwidth being stolen since BT is pretty rare (I doubt any of my neighbors know my AP exists). Still, I keep visually checking to see if the blue LED on my access point is on when neither of us are connected.