View Full Version : Frustration over DMT

Jon Westfall
03-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Ok, I'd like to respectfully say that I'm beginning to get frustrated over all of the posts here that basically tell people to quit posting questions on some subjects here and begin posting them at DMT. First of all, many members here are posting questions that are related to pocket pc's, not just strictly ripping, encoding, editing, etc.. on the desktop. Also, many uses here are probably more comfortable posting questions in an environment where they know the more established members and trust their opinions. Establishing oneself at DMT would take the same amount of effort as it does to establish yourself here, and for many, is not possible.

Lastly, many people may be holding off posting here due to fear of being chastised that their post is in the wrong site.

I'm glad to see the thoughts-media empire expanding, and wish all the best for Jason (BTW, happy belated birthday), but I also don't want to see our community suffer because posts that are multimedia related to pocket pcs are ALL over at DMT.

And the usual disclaimer applies: This post is not intended to create a flame war, just express a frustration.

Jeff Rutledge
03-26-2004, 09:34 PM
I can see where you're coming from. I don't think there was any intention to chastise anyone. I'd guess it's more likely attirbutable to the fact that DMT is new and as a result the way Media-related questions are handled here are new too.

I think there was a couple of questions that were answered with a redirection to DMT.

Would it have made a difference if the reply was something closer to "Well, you may have better luck at DMT, but..." and attempted to answer the question?

Steven Cedrone
03-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Usually, if I see anything now that might have a better chance of being answered there (or answered faster there), I'll direct the person to try posting there. That's just me though. :wink: The "Multimedia" forum has quieted down some since DMT opened...

There isn't any reason that you can't post the question in both places...

Steve

Jason Dunn
03-26-2004, 11:18 PM
I had a feeling this was going to happen, so I'm not surprised that you're frustrated - I felt I crossed the line today after I posted suggesting that Kati go over to DMT. It just somehow felt wrong, and I'm sorry I didn't realize it sooner. It's never good to discourage someone from posting to PPCT, regardless of the question they're asking.

I'm still new at having two sites that cross over so much. :-) I will say, however, that I'm able to monitor the forums on DMT, so I'm making an effort to answer every question there, which is something I can't do on PPCT due to volume.

Jason Dunn
03-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Oh, and regarding the multimedia forum here, I still think this is the best place for multimedia questions relating to Pocket PC issues - this is a much more specialized community, so it makes sense to keep Pocket PC-related multimedia questions here.

Kati Compton
03-27-2004, 04:26 AM
I had a feeling this was going to happen, so I'm not surprised that you're frustrated - I felt I crossed the line today after I posted suggesting that Kati go over to DMT. It just somehow felt wrong, and I'm sorry I didn't realize it sooner. It's never good to discourage someone from posting to PPCT, regardless of the question they're asking.

As the "aggrieved" party, I'll mention that I wasn't offended.

Jon Westfall
03-27-2004, 05:45 AM
I'm glad you saw my frustrations Jason. Its always nice to know that this community, and the other TM sites have the personal touch. In the end I think we all strive for the same goal - to make this site the best possible.

And as a act of good faith (and probably very soon - necessity) I registered over at DMT today. Now I just have to get around to setting up the account with my avatar & sig - and trying to be helpful in a community where I feel I have just as much to learn as to offer.

JTWise
03-27-2004, 08:16 AM
dadarkmcse,

I think that once you look around at the forums of DMT some of your concerns about establishing a new identity there will be appeased. Without a doubt, most posters on the DMT forums are the same folks you know and love from the PPCT forums.

I really enjoy having 2 sites. I generally don't post much over here, mainly I just read through some forums and news. However, I am a digital media amateur and post much more often on DMT. It is nice to not have to sift through all the PPC stuff to figure out some non-PPC camera or encoding settings.

That said, I think that there are some things that should be cross-posted and some valid postings here that have been refered to DMT. It didn't bother me since I visit and subscribe to both sites, but I can appreciate your frustration. All I can suggest is be patient and to give Jason and his team some time to iron out how the multiple-site thing will work.