View Full Version : Dell Laptops

VidGameKing
03-25-2004, 09:26 PM
okay we all here love/hate our dell PDAs but where is there a site of similar standing where one may discuss their love/hate for the Laptops of dell? I have just ordered the dell Inspiron 1100 laptop with:

2.4 Ghz Celeron (standard desktop style)

512MB DDR PC2100 Memory

60GB 5200RPM Disk Drive

DVD-ROM/CD-RW

15 inch Screen

94kwh battery

Windows XP Pro

and I was just wondering what other people had from dell. and what they thought of dell quality when it comes to their inspiron laptops.

enemy2k2
04-03-2004, 12:32 AM
I just got an inspiron 1100 at the end of last year. mine's got the celeron as well, but it has the lower battery, only 256mb of ram, dvd/cd ROM only, 30gb hd, and the 15" screen. I wish I had got the p4, 14" screen, and the higher battery instead. The build quality doesn't inspire the most confidence in me, almost like it wants to collapse under it's own weight:( The screen panel seems fine, and the hinges seem strong, but the main body just feels so weak and flexy. It's not too much of a problem for me as I didn't really buy it to travel around with, just for around the house I guess. Also a lot of crap comes preinstalled so it's probably best to uninstal that or reinstall the OS. Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes when it's been in suspend for over a few hours it takes more than a few minutes to come back online. Overall it's a decent but heavy notebook.

PetiteFlower
04-08-2004, 06:52 AM
Don't know laptops but I do love my dell desktop. A laptop is an unjustifiable expense for me as it would only be a toy, I don't have any real need for one :) But generally speaking Dell's pc quality is pretty high.

Zack Mahdavi
04-08-2004, 08:37 AM
I used to love Dell laptops up until a few years ago. It seems like the quality has deteriorated a lot. Hinges creak after a couple months, and the case creaks when you lift the computer up. Also, a lot of recent Dell laptop owners I know have experienced memory, hard drive, and motherboard failures. Of course, Dell is quick to fix the problems..

My favorite PC laptops are IBM. They're built well and very reliable. Of course, there's a $300 premium for IBM Thinkpads, but if you can afford the extra money, go for a Thinkpad.

JustinGTP
04-09-2004, 02:05 AM
I have one of their business class laptops, the Dell C600, recently replaced with the D600, similar specs, and it seems really good. I need a new battery, its about a year old now and I think its loosing charge.

-Justin.

Steven Cedrone
04-09-2004, 03:12 AM
I've been gravitating towards IBM as well. They just seem to be well built, sturdy, business oriented laptops!

Steve

Enderet
04-14-2004, 07:25 PM
okay we all here love/hate our dell PDAs but where is there a site of similar standing where one may discuss their love/hate for the Laptops of dell?

You should check out www.notebookforums.com aka www.talknotebooks.com

You will find a really large community there.

Kati Compton
04-14-2004, 07:27 PM
I've been gravitating towards IBM as well. They just seem to be well built, sturdy, business oriented laptops!
I love mine, apart from a few stability issues that I have not yet discovered the source of... I have an IBM T40.

Pat Logsdon
04-14-2004, 07:44 PM
I love mine, apart from a few stability issues that I have not yet discovered the source of... I have an IBM T40.
My company is upgrading me from a T23 to a T40 sometime this week. I can't wait! The T23 has been a wonderful machine - built like a tank with almost 0 flex. That said, I'm very much looking forward to the WiFi and the weight reduction. And the faster processor and video card. :mrgreen:

Darius Wey
04-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Although a tad heavy, the inspiron 8600 is a very beasty machine :D

and for an even beastier one, there's also the inspiron 9100 (at least i think it's the 9100).
one of the first to feature a 128mb ati radeon 9700. :twisted:

draiken
04-15-2004, 02:48 PM
I also have an Inspiron 8600, and it is a great machine.

I used to have a T21 and I agree, IBM quality is the best, and for a business traveler I think there's no other choice.

However the 8600 with all it's multimedia trinkets and upgrades, widescreen high resolution LCD, Bluetooth, Wi-fi, DVD+RW is the best option for my home

Kati Compton
04-15-2004, 04:35 PM
My company is upgrading me from a T23 to a T40 sometime this week. I can't wait! The T23 has been a wonderful machine - built like a tank with almost 0 flex. That said, I'm very much looking forward to the WiFi and the weight reduction. And the faster processor and video card. :mrgreen:
Hey - congrats!

Yeah - I'm pretty sure it's the lightest 14.1" laptop > 1040x480. There's a comparable Sony that might be slightly lighter, but I avoid buying Sony computer stuff.

I love my little keyboard light.

kaitanium
04-16-2004, 02:35 AM
nothing but complaints on dell laptops here. my friend had his die on him after 2 months of use (LCD went out, motherboard starting to give out) and another friend's hard drive died after less than a months use. yet another had their touchpad mouse come loose from the laptop itself. its no wonder they got rated a B by pc mag. id go for ibm anyday with their superior build and quality

tanalasta
04-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Bugger. I'm more or less going to be given a new Dell 1100 in a couple of months - cheapest entry level laptop :P So people are generally not recommending it? I won't be carrying it around but at least want it to be reliable :(

JustinGTP
04-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Tanalsta,

I don't think it will be that bad! My friend at school has that laptop, aye, it is a bit heavier and bigger - but the power is what it will be known for. I wouldn't sweat over it, my Dell laptop is quite sturdy and reliable! My father has a top of the line Toshiba laptop and ever since he has had it, he has had to replace the keyboard twice and the motherboard twice. That is ridiculous! Nothing on my Dell has been replaced yet, and it is a year or two old!

-Justin.