View Full Version : HP Micro Keyboard for iPaq h2210

omikron.sk
03-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Hi, I'm interested in experience you have with the "HP Micro keyboard for iPAQ 2200 and 4100 series" ( FA162A#AC3 , http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_detail/product_detail_view.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1489311145.1080243035@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadcldfedkkdcfngcfkmdfondfgf.0&product_code=FA162A%23AC3&catLevel=2 ). I'm thinking about buying one, nut I want to know some things. First of all I will probabably have it snapped on my iPaq for the most of the time - are there any problems with it? Does iPaq with keyboard fold into original case? My D-button is completely damaged (no matter what you do, it always performs "Enter" action) - the keyboard seems to have the left, right, up and down keys - are they mechanically conected to the iPaq or they are regular electronical keys? Is there a substitution for every hardware key on my iPaq? Are these substituted buttons usable for example in games? And are they accesibble with just one touch (not thru some shifts etc.)? How fast is it possible to type (compared to full sized keyboard or touch screen input methods)?

Well that's quite a lot of questions, but I will be very glad if you would them if you have any experiences with this keyboard. Thank you a lot.

martyh1
03-26-2004, 12:52 AM
Hi, I'm interested in experience you have with the "HP Micro keyboard for iPAQ 2200 and 4100 series"...... Does iPaq with keyboard fold into original case? My D-button is completely damaged (no matter what you do, it always performs "Enter" action) - the keyboard seems to have the left, right, up and down keys - are they mechanically conected to the iPaq or they are regular electronical keys? Is there a substitution for every hardware key on my iPaq? Are these substituted buttons usable for example in games? And are they accesibble with just one touch (not thru some shifts etc.)? How fast is it possible to type (compared to full sized keyboard or touch screen input methods)?

I'll try to answer a few questions but honestly I don't use it as much as I hoped I would.

- The left/right/up/dn are electronic keys.
- keys are not configurable (no substitution)
- Typing is ok, but nothing like touch typing. IMHO, it was a huge oversight not making it work with the "word suggestion" feature of the onscreen keyboard (where you type a few characters and suggested words appear above the keyboard). Together, they would have made this a great addition but as it stands now, I hardly use it. (MOF, I'm not sure where it is. :) )

omikron.sk
03-26-2004, 08:48 PM
THANK YOU, thank you, thank you.

Can you please answer a few more questions?
1. buttons replacing four original iPaq buttons (calendar, tasks, mail and iTask) - according to the screenshot they are placed on R, T, Y, U keys and are probably accessible thru some shift. How exactly are they accessible - you press the shift - it locks - you press buttons you want - you press the shift again - it unlocks - you can type regular letters OR you must press the shift before every shifted key press - OR it works like on the desktop PC and you have to hold the shift while pressing the shifted button?
http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/images/products/fa162a_400.jpg
2. according to the review on the similar PPC keyboard - just for iPaqs 3xxx and 5xxx ( http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=259 ), the key responses are esspecially at higher CPU usage slow and that makes the keyboard nearly impossible to use with a lot of background programs running and for game-play. Did you experience similar problems?

And about word completition - it really doesn't interest me, while I write mostly in Slovak and therefor predictive input is nearly unusable for me.

THANK YOU very much.

martyh1
03-26-2004, 09:03 PM
That keyboard looks slightly different than mine. On mine there are two function keys, one orange (most left key, 3rd row), and one blue (2nd from end on right, 3rd row). The blue function key allows selection of the apps. Single press and then the app key brings up the app. Double press locks the function key so that subsequent presses of other keys gives you the "function" of that key. Once the function key is locked, another press of the function key unlocks it.

I haven't noticed any performance problems but I don't use it while the CPU is heavily loaded (e.g. for games), although I have used while playing mp3s and it works fine. I couldn't get ahead of it and I consider myself a fairly fast "thumb" typist.

omikron.sk
03-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Thank you REALLY very much. Your help was exactly what I needed. I'm going to order it ASAP.

g.arcinotti
03-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Hy all,

I'm also looking for a similar keyboard but I wanna first buy a case, there's some kind of case that could also fit this kind of keyboard or I must keep out from the case the 2210?
Thanks and bye

chunkymonkey75
03-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Hy all,

I'm also looking for a similar keyboard but I wanna first buy a case, there's some kind of case that could also fit this kind of keyboard or I must keep out from the case the 2210?
Thanks and bye

...I wish there was, that is what stops me from buying one.

chunkymonkey75
03-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Hy all,

Thanks and bye

...I wish there was, that is what stops me from buying one.

On second thought...the Sena cases allow our to cradle with the case still on. It might be safe to assume the keyboard would work with that.

Can anyone here speak to that?

bnycastro
03-29-2004, 06:58 AM
I have the keyboard as well... I agree with martyh1 that autotext input would have been great... I also think they should have implemented a backlight system for it... :mrgreen:... I use it primarily for msn messenger and typing up short docs on pocket word, and as I sync using BT at work I don't have to take it off. The problem for me comes when I need to charge my iPAQ (although I do have a spare battery it's really a hassle to change batteries when your in the middle of surfing site or typing something up), I wish they could have made a port to connect power to, then I would be very pleased with this accessory.

I haven't really tried it out for games though... I use the Sylus for that.

IMO It's an ok accessory if you really intend to use it. :D

Bny Castro

May the FORCE Be With You...

rEVOLVE
03-29-2004, 10:14 AM
If you're a do it yourselfer. . .
http://images5.fotki.com/v60/photos/4/41702/698430/slidecover1-vi.jpg

and with the keyboard. . .
http://images4.fotki.com/v46/photos/4/41702/698430/slidecover7-vi.jpg

more info here:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101092&highlight=screen+protector+v2

Hi bnycastro! from your state-side kababayan

bnycastro
03-29-2004, 11:08 AM
hmm nice one revolve... i wonder where i can get the mat'ls for this here in the philippines.... i actually bought 2 cases (one rhinoskin aluminum case and one lowepro pda case) already for my ipaq before i bought the keyboard and now these are gathering dust because the ipaq w/ keyboard won't fit... I now use a lowepro camera bag for my ipaq (it is quite big though)... I would like to try this out though maybe when I have more time I'll give it a try.