View Full Version : PLEASE tell me I DON'T need a hard reset...

karinatwork
03-20-2004, 04:50 AM
Please help me out. I am in serious trouble tonight. My h4150 does not shut off completely when I switch it off. The screen will go dark, but not really, a little dim backlight is still on, and this keeps draining my battery. It's hard to see during daylight, so if I miss it, it's trouble. Tonight I realized that it was still on, so I did a soft reset (like someone suggested) but it STILL wouldn't turn off. I checked Active Sync and it was still running, even AFTER a soft reset. Is that normal? I don't know what else to do.

Could it be that it has to do with the message I keep getting from the notification bar: "Unable to connect. You have no modem entries created, and no network card present." I have no clue what that means. It pops up every half an hour or so, but I don't know how to get rid of it. Also, my ppc will turn on in the cradle all the time, even when it is not connected to my pc. I am getting grey hair over this, and let me tell you, grey hair would not suit my complexion at all! :roll:

I am very concerned. I don't want to hard reset my ppc, but if nothing else helps, I guess I have to. 8O

Any ideas? Thanks for you advice!

K.

Steven Cedrone
03-20-2004, 05:12 AM
Check your Inbox to see if you have an account that checks mail every few minutes. Have you added any new software recently?

Steve

karinatwork
03-20-2004, 05:17 AM
No, the account thing is not checked. So it shouldn't check for email.

New software? Not that I can think of. The last one I have installed a while ago, but the problem is fairly recent. At least from what I can see.

I think the last things I installed were Cleaner+ and the Scarybear check notification software, and their notification delete app that you install into the startup folder.

K.

Steven Cedrone
03-20-2004, 05:29 AM
Well...

If you want to rule eveything out: use your Sprite Backup! Backup the device and HR, see if the problem continues with a "factory fresh" device. Before you try it, rest your device and reboot your PC (I doubt it would make a difference, but what the heck)...

Steve

karinatwork
03-20-2004, 05:33 AM
But if I do a hard reset and a restore from a backup file, won't the problem just be there again? Backed up? I was afraid I might have to re-build my ppc from scratch.

Thanks! :)

Steven Cedrone
03-20-2004, 05:38 AM
If the problem goes away, you rebuild. If the problem persists, you can quickly restore and plan what to do next...

Steve

Hyperluminal
03-20-2004, 05:50 AM
Karin.. I had a problem with the same error message. The problem was a little different though... my 2215 would turn off properly, but then turn back on randomly. It was very annoying, and I got the same error message.

I noticed that the log in ActiveSync mentioned a problem with a connection, but wasn't specific as to what connection or anything. Just on a hunch, I synced it, and the problem went away (I hadn't synced it for a few days until then).
Hopefully this fixes your problem... :)

Ripper014
03-20-2004, 05:54 AM
Ok... two things...

First... if you hold the off button down to long it will turn off the backlight but not the PPC. If this is the case all you need to do is to hold it down again until the backlight comes back on.

Second... you can try opening your activesync on the PPC...in options there is a setting that says "Use mobile schedule to sync with this PC" UNCHECK it... that solved my problem with the the unwanted notification balloon...

bigkingfun
03-20-2004, 06:00 AM
I got a 4150 recently as well and had this same problem. I was also having a problem with it not turning on sometimes unless I did a soft reset. Strange as it seems, my problem was apparently an old version of the foldable keyboard driver. In going through all the software and drivers looking for updates that may have solved a compatibility problem with WM2003, I found that I somehow had installed a really old version of the keyboard driver. I updated it with the latest one listed on HP's site and I haven't had a problem with either shutting off or turning on since. I don't understand it, but I can only assume the problems were somehow related.

senfeng
03-21-2004, 01:55 AM
I had the same problem in the past. I ended up waiting for the message to pop up again, and then popping in my WiFi card. It seemed to fix the problem, but I never knew what was making it pop up in the first place.

I'm pretty certain it was a scheduling issue, but I checked inbox, activesync (have you checked this?), and journal bar. Still not sure, but the messages are gone.

karinatwork
03-21-2004, 04:53 AM
Turns out, I had a message sitting in my outbox. This message had been sitting there for approximately 6 weeks. I have been online plenty of times, almost every day, I don't know why the message didn't get sent, but - here it comes - ever since I deleted it (last night), I haven't had any more trouble. My h4150 doesn't turn on in the cradle anymore without apparent reason (when not connected to my pc), I don't get strange messages that tell me stuff, and the screen doesn't stay on anymore when I switch my ppc off. Go figure. I don't really know if that message and those incidents are related, because the message - as I said - is about 6 weeks old, but the trouble with my ppc only started a few days ago. But everything has been great ever since I deleted it.

Now if I only knew WHY this message didn't get sent in the first place...

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I'm happy again. :) And no grey hair (or at least not yet!) ;)

K.