View Full Version : Windows Mobile Update Launches Next Week?

Ed Hansberry
03-19-2004, 07:00 PM
<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1045_3-5175544.html?tag=nefd_top">http://news.com.com/2100-1045_3-5175544.html?tag=nefd_top</a><br /><br />"Microsoft is expected next week to announce an update to its Windows Mobile operating system, which powers cell phones and handhelds, CNET News.com has learned. The update, to be known as Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, is based on a Windows CE .Net core, but adds a variety of improvements, according to a source familiar with the situation. The new OS is expected to improve support for larger, VGA screens and screen rotation, among other features, according to developer comments posted in a Microsoft forum and cited by handheld enthusiast site <a href="http://www.pocketpctools.com">PocketPCTools</a>. "<br /><br />We had linked to the Pocket PC Tools article yesterday. Not many details unfortunately. Also keep in mind this launch is to the OEMs, so it could be a few more months before devices with the new OS ship. Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition For Pocket PC, or WM2K3SEPPC. Man, that is a mouthful. :wink:

danmanmayer
03-19-2004, 07:11 PM
Does that mean us T-mobile people shouldn't even hope for this seeing as windows mobile 2003 was just made avialable to us yesterday... hehe Oh well something nice for the rest of you to look forward to.

akirasprt
03-19-2004, 07:23 PM
I hope HP makes this a free upgrade since I just got a 2215 3 months ago...

dhettel
03-19-2004, 07:25 PM
T-mobile made you wait, that's true. But you did get it, and it was free too! :) Because the government is involved with this, I can understand why it may take longer. :cry:

I like to look on the bright side of things when I can. My guess is you will not see Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition next week. But then I don't expect to see it either next week, :evil: I hope you get to see it, and when you get it, it is free. I also hope the bugs are known and fixed by then. Does your T-Mobile version have the notifications bug? Or is it fixed?

Gremmie
03-19-2004, 07:35 PM
I hope HP makes this a free upgrade since I just got a 2215 3 months ago...

Usually HP is kind to recent buyers.

------

Jason, how soon will you be able to talk about WM2k3SE? Next week?

mhskateboarder
03-19-2004, 07:36 PM
so, are we still in the dark about which handhelds this update will be available for?

cdunphy
03-19-2004, 08:19 PM
No wonder Microsoft needed to add landscape support to the platform -- it is the only way the about box can display the entire product name on a single line... ;-)

"Windows Mobile 2003 Seceond Edition for Pocket PC - Phone Edition"

Gag!

- chris

Jimmy Dodd
03-19-2004, 08:32 PM
No wonder Microsoft needed to add landscape support to the platform -- it is the only way the about box can display the entire product name on a single line... ;-)

"Windows Mobile 2003 Seceond Edition for Pocket PC - Phone Edition"

Gag!

- chris

:rotfl:

brianchris
03-19-2004, 08:37 PM
Obviously I want this update, but (like the T-Mobile post above) am affraiod I won't see it. Why? I have an HP iPaq 5455, which originally shipped with PPC 2002. True, I did purchase, recieve, and install an upgrade to WM2003 for the 5400 series, and therefore a second upgrade (free or not) is unprecedented, isn't it?

I hope they (HP) makes it availible for those of us that upgraded to WM2003 (as opposed to purchasing a new device with WM2003 already loaded), but I'm concerned they won't. :cry:

-Brian

mhskateboarder
03-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Obviously I want this update, but (like the T-Mobile post above) am affraiod I won't see it. Why? I have an HP iPaq 5455, which originally shipped with PPC 2002. True, I did purchase, recieve, and install an upgrade to WM2003 for the 5400 series, and therefore a second upgrade (free or not) is unprecedented, isn't it?

I hope they (HP) makes it availible for those of us that upgraded to WM2003 (as opposed to purchasing a new device with WM2003 already loaded), but I'm concerned thay won't. :cry:

-Brian

i'm in the same boat as you regarding the 5455. If this WM2K3SE contains some bug fixes then I would think it should be available for any devices capable of running the current WM2K3

bridgecrosser
03-19-2004, 09:58 PM
I've got a iPAQ h5450, too, and just recently updated it to 2003. Hope I don't have to buy another upgrade from HP! :|

JonnoB
03-20-2004, 12:05 AM
The WM2003SE announcement is likely to happen next week in San Francisco during the Mobile Developer Conference. I take this to indicate it is an official announcement and has nothing to do with availability. I suspect that this SE version of the OS will come in the middle of the year around the same time a new flurry of devices come to market.

jlp
03-20-2004, 01:34 PM
I'd suggest dropping 2K or 20 as well as PPC, since it's for PPC only.

So that will be WM03SE 8)

Chairman Clench
03-21-2004, 04:02 AM
I really hope they have FINALLY fixed the alarm/reminder failing to wake up the device bug. Considering that this bug has affected every version of the PPC OS, I am not holding my breath. But, with official VGA support, when you manually turn on your device you will be able to see the missed alarms and reminders in all their high-res glory!

I will happily return to the PPC world from the Palm world when they fix this. Until then...

Ed Hansberry
03-21-2004, 05:52 AM
Why do you assume there isn't a WM2K3SE for Smartphone?

jlp
03-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Why do you assume there isn't a WM2K3SE for Smartphone?

...yet... maybe.

When/if it comes out it'll be time enough to add something.

In the mean time simpler is better... 8)

pepemosca
03-23-2004, 05:37 AM

I hope they (HP) makes it availible for those of us that upgraded to WM2003 (as opposed to purchasing a new device with WM2003 already loaded), but I'm concerned they won't. :cry:

-Brian

Me too. Mercy HP :)