View Full Version : Ipaq 5550 as phone?

Trimac20
03-19-2004, 02:51 AM
In an article in Pen Computing on the ipaq 5550, the author (sorry I forget his name, Conrad something I think) noted that the position of the microphone at the bottom and the speaker at the top commenting that it could be 'possibly for use as a cell-phone' which of course made a lot of sense since most mics are placed at the top. I was just wondering if the 5550 is indeed currently able to function as a phone. The only way possible I think is either through VoIp over the net, or via bluetooth if it is paired with a mobile phone. Perhaps a future release may allow this?

Which got me thinking, I have Mphone (mobile phone for pocket pc) and can SMSs, dial.etc. But when I dial I have to talk into the Mobile phone, which to me kind of defeats the purpose. Is there anyway I can make and answer calls through my Pocket PC using this or other software? I was thinking, I could listen through the headphones and talk into the speakers (or conversely hold my ipaq upside down). Could anyone help me out here? Thanks.

Trimac20
03-19-2004, 02:54 AM
What I mean is, using the bluetooth connection to my mobile (or cellphone if you like), I can basically use my Pocket PC as a phone. That would be very handy, as I could keep the phone in my pocket or better still in my bag or something and only have to carry my Pocket PC around..

Trimac20
03-21-2004, 10:21 AM
You can actually use the hp5550 as a phone, although you'd need to buy a CF sleeve, and then a CF modem. BTW an bit of input into this thread would be nice.

Janak Parekh
03-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Sorry, I missed this.

Most people believe the reason the iPAQ 5xxx units have the aforementioned speaker/microphone design is because HP was rumored to be designing an iPAQ 5600 or thereabouts that would have GPRS. However, a later round of rumors suggested that product line was killed. The fact that there's a SIM slot under the battery also suggests this.

In practice, today the only way you can use an iPAQ as a phone (apart from VoIP) is to use a CF card or maybe a custom sleeve. Neither approach would take advantage of the headphone/mic placement that the 5550 has; CF doesn't route audio and all the phone sleeves I've seen have their own earpiece/mic setup.

--janak

Daedalus
03-22-2004, 05:27 AM
I'm not sure if this has been thought of before, and if it has please don't flame too badly but here it goes...

Wouldn't it be possible to obtain a radio controller chip, possibly out of an XDA for example, figure out the wiring and wire it directly into the Ipaq 54xx/55xx? Then one would have to develop drivers for it, which shouldn't be too terribly hard again I'd say look to the XDA rom and find what you're looking for. Lastly porting a version of Windows Mobile Phone Edition over to the Ipaq. Again you'd need to have drivers for it which should be able to be extracted from a standard Ipaq ROM. To obtain the copy of Windows Mobile Phone Edition legally one could look for licenses from Microsoft.
In regards to extra equipment needed to make the unit operate as a phone, one should be able to use the ant. that is already in the unit or possibly if that one isn't strong enough a sleeve could be made. Insofar as the SIM card reader I know that some units have the plastic dummy readers in the slot, some don't. My 5455 for example has real connectors.

I know this sounds like alot of work, and most would say just wait for the 63xx to come out when ever it comes out or just get an XDA, but personally I find the XDA lacking and the XDA II too expensive for not getting all the features of an Ipaq. I personally own a 5455 and I love it, except I would like to only have to carry around one device. I personally don't want to have to buy a whole new unit which most likely won't be able to work w/ my sleeves that I already have for my Ipaq.

I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say on this matter, and again it's just an idea, not me whining about how these Ipaqs should be phones.

Jeremiah

Janak Parekh
03-22-2004, 06:02 AM
Wouldn't it be possible to obtain a radio controller chip, possibly out of an XDA for example, figure out the wiring and wire it directly into the Ipaq 54xx/55xx? Then one would have to develop drivers for it, which shouldn't be too terribly hard again I'd say look to the XDA rom and find what you're looking for. Lastly porting a version of Windows Mobile Phone Edition over to the Ipaq.
I think obtaining the radio would be the easy part, relatively. Integrating it electronically would be tough. Driver writing is also very challenging and integrating it with a different Pocket PC (phone) OS, considering you don't have the original image the ROM was built from, is a tricky proposition at best. :|

--janak