View Full Version : Dead iPaq...

rsmithline
03-18-2004, 10:42 PM
I ran my battery to death on my 5400 and my Ipaq kinda died. After the screen pixilized, the white HP iPaq sceen came up (with the backlight on) and I can't get rid of it. A soft reset does not help and hitting the screen does nothing. A hard reset brought the smaller HP iPaq image up but after waiting 60 seconds and doing the soft reset to follow, the original white screen came up. I now have the battery out and I am letting it rest over night to try again, but meanwhile does anyone have any ideas?

R

Trimac20
03-19-2004, 02:33 AM
That doesn't sound very good at all. Not being an expert on it, I would probably just get a brand new ipaq! ;-). But seriously, did you try running the ipaq with a full battery and doing a hard-reset? Try that and see if anything is wrong. If that does not help, I would assume it is something wrong with the LCD display and the power connectors and MAY require expensive repairs. But maybe others can help you out on this one.

ctmagnus
03-19-2004, 02:54 AM
I'd leave it charging overnight. It may require a certain minimum charge to function after a situation like this.

rsmithline
03-19-2004, 02:01 PM
My resonably new (but out of warranty) PDA can't just be dead can it?

After letting the battery run out over night I put it in its cradle and boom, whie screen with no reaction to touching the screen.

I am now going to try the full charge recommendation but I am not optimistic. (the charge light does not come when the PDA is docked :? ).

Any other ideas before my PDA hits the bin? :(

R

JustinGTP
03-19-2004, 11:58 PM
You say that the light charge does not come on, is there a power cord connected to your cradle?

If there is, maybe your cradle is broken and not giving it a charge. This happens occasionaly, so unplug the power cord and use the serial adapter and plug it into the iPaq.

This may not be the case, but an idea never hurts :)

Justin.

dh
03-20-2004, 12:17 AM
You say that the light charge does not come on, is there a power cord connected to your cradle?
I once had a case where my cellphone was plugged into a charger which had a power cable into the wall and it still went dead. I thought the phone and/or charger was broken and was getting ready to take it back to the Sprint Store.

Turns out that a light switch turned off the power to that wall outlet, which of couse was in the wrong position. Duh!

Luckily I found out before taking the perfectly good phone back to the store. :i got it:

rsmithline
03-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Charge light never came on but it is now charged....still nada. Staring at the white screen of death.

It's dead, isn't it?
:helpme:
R

omikron.sk
03-20-2004, 03:16 PM
You should try to contact HP anyway. Their technical support worked great for me.