View Full Version : Way to stop CRT "whine" noise?

David Prahl
03-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Right now I'm using an "el cheapo" 17" CRT. It was $58 USD new, looks fine, and does well with games. But it makes a very annoying high-pitched whining noise sometimes.

Shaking the (unstable) desk makes the noise stop for a second and then it starts again. Using my Pocket PC and a free spectrum analyzer, I found the pitch to be about 6600Hz.

I know this RF affect is very common, but I've never heard of a way to prevent it. Please don't post solutions like - "get an LCD", "plug your ears", or "what does the monitor say to you?". :)

Janak Parekh
03-18-2004, 10:56 PM
Apart from saying "the screen might be defective", try different resolutions and/or refresh rates. That might get around the problem.

--janak

draiken
03-18-2004, 11:04 PM
Also different colour depths, most monitors have 2 settings 6500K or 9200K colors, try lowering the setting, and reducing the brightness

It happens to my 17" HP monitor, it has 2 settings: Games and Text, obviously Games has much more contrast and brightness, but if I set it, to 9200K colors, Games (hi contrast&brightness) at 1280x1024 it also goes into a high pitch cry

also, with this settings, in Windows XP if you open outlook or word, or any application with a lot of white (contrasting to a blue-green wallpaper) the image seems to shift a few millimiters

dMores
03-18-2004, 11:08 PM
hmm, i could use that spectrum analyzer program too, since my sony tv (crt) whines too.

i found it helped when i "skewed" the casing. but only for a few seconds, so i stuck a piece of folded, thick cardboard paper underneath the back edge, to tilt it a tiny bit.

of course, there is no stand-type support that most monitors have, so i'm not sure it'll work with a monitor too.

did i mention this started happening when i accidentally dropped it, or "half-dropped" it, since it slipped out of my hands onto my knee, then my foot while scratching along the tv-table at the same time?
did you do that too?

Mitch D
03-18-2004, 11:20 PM
You could always try a large baseball bat or a good set of ear plugs David... Other than that I would do as Janak recommended and check the refresh freq. the monitor is using.

David Prahl
03-19-2004, 12:38 AM
This unit is uber-cheap - no on-screen control panel. So I won't be changing the refresh rate.

It only does it at certain times - the next time I'll try changing the res.

Thanks, guys!

JustinGTP
03-19-2004, 01:04 AM
You dont need an onscreen menu to change refresh rate. Right click on your desktop, Properties, then click Setting, then Advanced, and then you should find something to do with your moniter. You will find refresh rate there.

David Prahl
03-19-2004, 03:04 AM
And I called myself a nerd! I'm ashamed I didn't know that! :oops:

Thanks, Justin! Bumped it up to 85 Hz.

Jon Westfall
03-19-2004, 05:10 AM
I have a 17' that does this, and I actually find a few good whacks gets it to quit it.

Jon.

Darius Wey
03-19-2004, 09:49 AM
my sony crt doesn't do that, but my old old old el cheapo monitor from back in the '286' days (which i still use - NOT!!!) started squealing one day when i plugged it into a really old box.

everytime it squeals, i give it a good hard whack at the top and it goes away. i've counted about 20 whacks in one minute at the most - but hey...it does the job! :wink:

David Prahl
03-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Squealed at 85 Hz - just bumped it down to 70.

JustinGTP
03-19-2004, 10:33 PM
Your welcome David :D Just helping a fellow General Electronic Estactic Kid (geek) :D