View Full Version : Using an unlocked XDA in the US

Birdman
03-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Does anyone know of any GSM provider in the state of Florida that will allow me to open an account and get a SIM card for use while I am vacationing in Florida?

I currently live in Toronto and I am using an unlocked SX56 on Rogers. Last time I went to the states and used my phone the combined roaming and LD charges killed me. I was hoping I could activate an account in the US, get a new phone number and a SIM card with enough minutes for 10 days or 2 weeks of vacation, and use them in my unlocked phone, all at a rate that could be cheaper than roaming with Rogers.

I guess the concern is whether a US provider will let me open an account without a US address and only for a short period of time.

Jason Dunn
03-18-2004, 06:44 PM
What you want is a "Pay as you Go" SIM card, which are availble all over in the US. I don't know, however, if they include an option for GPRS (I somehow doubt it).

nice_micael
03-18-2004, 08:09 PM
I don't know if this would be interesting - saw it on howardforums.com
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=d4c897b522c86beed60dd22b436be488&threadid=321655

Birdman
03-18-2004, 09:54 PM
That sounds exactly what I am looking for. So I should be able to walk into a phone place in Florida, get a pay-as-you-go SIM card which will work in my unlocked XDA and will assign me a "new local" phone number.
that would be excellent.
Any recommendations in Orlando? Anything at the airport? (I will check on-line)

ppc
03-22-2004, 05:40 AM
You can buy prepaid SIMs on Ebay less than 50% of face value (Cingular or T-Mobile). The T-Mobile SIMs with 225 minutes and free long distance have been selling for $15-$20. These SIMs will not have a "local number" but it shouldn't be an issue unless you're getting local incoming calls.

Alternatively, you can purchase a SIM when you arrive in Florida (cellular stores, some convenience stores). This would be more expensive, face value, but would be a local phone number.

Almost all SIMs can be refilled with a credit card, if needed, via a customer service representative.

pdhenry
03-22-2004, 03:34 PM
I'd get a T-Mobile SIM rather than a Cingular SIM. Cingluar uses both the 850 MHz and 1900 MHz bands, while TMobile will be 1900 MHz only. The SX56 won't work on the 850 MHz band so you might have coverage issues with Cingular.