View Full Version : HP 1945 ROM UPDATE CRASHED!!!

Heavy Eddie
03-18-2004, 02:47 AM
I downloaded and tried to install the update to 1.10 located here (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/105_5719.html) and it FAILED!

All I have now is the HP INVENT screen that says 1.07 when I turn it on and nothing else.

Janak Parekh
03-18-2004, 03:08 AM
:( Sounds like you'll have to call HP. ROM update failures are rare, but they do happen.

--janak

Heavy Eddie
03-18-2004, 03:16 AM
1) The tech I talked to didn't know the update was available.
2) He said although the web site suggests 3.7.1 of activesync, they have had several problems with it.
3) It is now nothing more than a paperweight and is in the process of being sent back :(

I wonder if that extended warranty I purchased with the unit will cover this?

groan
03-19-2004, 03:15 AM
i am in the same boat Eddie.
i just tried it on my 1945 and BOOM...same thing
HP Invent screen with 1.07 twice at the top opf the screen.

i am on hold with HP as we speak and they tell me that they will arrange to pick up the PPC and send it in to service. they may do a free re-flash of the rom but i expect i will need to pay for it. he said it is not normally covered under warrenty as these upgrades are normally recommended as a result of your ppc acting up. it is not recommended for healthy ppc's.

everyone take heed. do not perform this unless HP recommends it to you personally!!!
ARGH!!!

Dave Beauvais
03-19-2004, 03:30 AM
That's absurd. An update with that many fixes is not an optional upgrade, in my opinion. HP-provided software rendering an HP device useless after following HP-provided instructions should be covered under warranty. If they disagree, I would fight it.

groan
03-19-2004, 03:54 AM
i agree except for the agreement you agree to when you are doing the install.
at your own risk is what it says.

:roll:

anyways, i'll do this and hope for the best.

Darius Wey
03-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Just letting you know that I managed to update to the new ROM with no problems at all.

However, I was reading the readme file very carefully seeing as though I've seen so many posts with people having failed ROM updates and noticed that your USB connection must be connected directly to the computer's USB ports rather than through a hub (e.g. monitor, keyboard, etc.) otherwise the ROM may fail to update correctly. 'Heavy Eddie' and 'groan', did you do this?

groan
03-19-2004, 02:11 PM
of course not.

ugh

of course i had mine through a hub.
typical male-not-reading-the-instructions...

Kowalski
03-20-2004, 11:06 AM
this again shows us how bad the hp support is! they make excellent devices but...

ale2999
03-20-2004, 05:25 PM
of course not.

ugh

of course i had mine through a hub.
typical male-not-reading-the-instructions...

lol guys guys guys, with pcs its all about the readme. I always give it a quick glance, to make sure I dont screw up sometin huge like that! lol gl getting it fixed

groan
03-22-2004, 10:23 PM
i just sent mine off to the repair depot today.
I'll update as to my results from HP and if they charge me for a Rom flash.

I just hope i can restore my PIM data afterwards!

Ripper014
03-23-2004, 12:51 AM
Your PIM's are intacted... you can always transfer the information over from your Desktop Outlook.. you may be required to setup a new partnership... but other than that you should be ok.