View Full Version : International Charging Options

Mark Kenepp
03-17-2004, 10:34 PM
For those of you that travel internationally with your Pocket PC and NO laptop (charging with a USB sync and charge cable to a PC is not an option for me), what do you all do to keep your Pocket PC charged.

I have never ran into the problem before since I would only travel with my Ericsson MC218 (http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc/emc218.htm) (Ericsson branded Psion 5mx). It was easy enough to just carry extra AA batteries and even if I ran out, they are available for purchase most anywhere that I would be going.

The fact that my MC218 uses standard batteries is one of the reasons that I have not wholly switched from EPOC to PocketPC.

I have been wondering about purchasing an international charging kit for my 2215 like the eXpansys iPAQ h2210 Charge Anywhere Kit (http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=109033) and wonder if any of you have used it or something similar? For example, would any USB sync and charge cable work with these adapters?

TIA

tom dunne
03-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Before you buy anything - check your current adapter, it may be dual voltage. I know my X5's adapter is.

If that is the case, the only thing you will need to buy is a plug converter.

Mark Kenepp
03-17-2004, 11:52 PM
Before you buy anything - check your current adapter, it may be dual voltage....

If that is the case, the only thing you will need to buy is a plug converter.

A plug converter is an option. I actually already use one with my Ericsson cell phone charger. It is one extra piece to carry around and, in the case of a UK plug adapter, a rather large piece.

Just to be clear, I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest (read "least expensive") solution. I am looking for the most convenient/portable solution.

hollis_f
03-18-2004, 08:50 AM
I use the Expansys USB travel charger whenever I go away (and at home). I take the plug, with whatever pin set I'm gonna need for the country I'll be in, and a few USB charge cables - for the iPAQ, phone, BT headset, GPS. It's a darn sight lighter than carrying around three seperate power supplies.

Any sync/charge USB cable should work.