View Full Version : Just inherited a HP Jornada 56x

PFlats
03-17-2004, 02:32 PM
Okay, here's the deal. My father is one of those "corporate executive" types who always needs the latest and the greatest - or at least a good way to access his contacts on the road. Some time ago, he picked up a Jornada.

Recently, it "stopped working". Sync problems or something; regardless, he passed it on to me. Not sure what was wrong with it, after a nice charge, it hasn't given me any issues.

The only thing is, I don't know what I can really do with it. Someone pointed me to PocketGamer.org, and I grabbed a copy of PocketNES, but that's about it.

I don't even know what model this thing is. It's from the 56x series, but I don't know how to tell beyond that. It has 31.33MB internal memory, if that's a tip-off.

I assume that this is a CF slot on top? Is there any wireless network card I could put in it? What other cool stuff can I do? Can I delete the Chai and other Developer stuff without much of a problem? Any other tips? I didn't see a FAQ anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Steven Cedrone
03-17-2004, 02:45 PM
It is a Jornada 565! Yes, in the top of the device is a CF slot. If the unit was never hard reset, I would do that now (provided you do not need anything on the device as it will be wiped out)

For CF WIFI, there are tons of cards out there! Just make sure you get a card that supports Pocket PC 2002 devices (yours has an ARM processor, BTW) Make sure you get a Type I card.

Once that is done, just start downloading and trying software. Make a note of the stuff you like, remove the stuff you don't. Once done, what I would do is hard reset again, and just load the stuff you liked!

Steve

genoist_gps
03-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Yes, you can delete the chai stuff if you want ( I think mine went LONG ago). It is a CF type 1 slot, so watch it when getting accessories for it. I use an ambicom 802.11b card, and it works great. With that amount of RAM, you have a Jornada 565, the 568 has 64MB or RAM. It's still a good device. The Jornadas are great, I'm still using my 568 after almost 3 years. I hope to soon upgrade to an H2215 though.

rhmorrison
03-17-2004, 03:32 PM
The only thing is, I don't know what I can really do with it.
Telephone & Address management ToDo lists Shopping lists Listen to MP3 music View videos play games read eBooks IR remote control Stopwatch Calculator Flashlight Dictionary Units conversion Handwritten notes Voice notes (.wav/.mp3) Etcetera...
Any anything else that you can think of...
Yes, a CF WLAN card from Socket (or Symbol) works fine!

JohnnyFlash
03-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Pflats, you have a great little machine there. I used to have one, and LOVED it! A better question would be: What can't you do with it? Almost anything that you could do with a laptop, you can do with your Jornada. Here are some of the thigs I do with my pocket pc:

Watch movies, play awesome looking games (including multiplayer), read e-books (i carry over 200 of them with me on my device), IM wirelessly with my friends, surf the web, read/answer e-mail, keep my schedule, keep my address book, use Word, excel, and powerpoint presentations, keep track of my bank account, create and use databases, store all of my credit card info, play mp3s, create & view slideshows, take written notes in class, create voice recordings, create zip and unzip compressed files, watch tv, listen to the radio, get the weather report...WHEW!

And believe me, this is a very partial list. Once you discover all you can do, you will fall fast in love with that machine. Congratulations on your very first pocket pc!!! I'm sure there will be many more to come in your future, because you have now been bitten by the ppc bug, and you will soon have a full fledged version of the disease. Your life will never be the same.

PFlats
03-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the help so far.

The remote for my TV broke recently, and I've been putting off getting a new one. Are there any freeware remote control utilities? I've only found one or two from google, and neither is free - at that price, I might as well go out and buy a replacement remote.

Also, where do you suggest looking for good CF expansion products online? I usually buy all my stuff from newegg, and I only see one wireless adaptor, for $55. Is that the going rate?