View Full Version : Encryption on an IPAQ

bluewhale
03-17-2004, 02:08 AM
Might y'all have thoughts on encrypting data on an IPAQ? I only recently converted from Palm to the IPAQ ( after 1.5 months of being advised Cingular sells but does not support BT, as of yesterday, I can finally access my servers and the web in general from my IPAQ via a bluetooth phone (!!) ) but was wondering what software ( or hardware? ) exists to encrypt data on the IPAQ? I was lucky in that the company paid for me to attend a SANS course last Oct.. the speaker for this 6 day course made a really logical, easy to understand argument that encryption is what matters and I bought in. However the 2 or 3 products I've tried for the Palms I've owned prior to this.... just sucked. :{ They would break the device, causing me to hard boot and restore from the PC.

Any thoughts/advice?

many thanks

Paul

Lex
03-17-2004, 02:15 AM
You'll get lots of good advice shortly but, I use Resco File Explorer. It encrypts and password protects any file you choose and is a much better file manager than the built-in.

See: www.resco-net.com

senfeng
03-21-2004, 02:35 AM
I haven't found a way to encrypt the entire iPaq, but like Lex, I use Resco for file encryption. I'm still working on the best way to protect my device myself. I've looked into image-based and signature-based password screens, but I've yet to find something that I'm happy with.