View Full Version : Alternate contacts file.....

flyingfemme
03-15-2004, 08:32 PM
I want to make the move from a Palm to an I-Mate/XDAII so I can ditch my phone and the ridiculous bluetooth card.
BUT, as a longtime Palm user, I have a requirement that no salesman has been able to help me with.
I use a different contacts file to the default in my desktop Outlook - it is a shared file with my partner. Using Keycontacts I synchronise the Palm to this contact file, not the default, as a standard thing.
Not being able to do this means that I cannot synch contact data and must make all changes on the desktop.
Can I set this up on PocketPC? Or is there a piece of software I can buy to do it for me?

omikron.sk
03-24-2004, 08:55 PM
I don't know if I fully understand your question, but I think that ActiveSync can do that. (ActiveSync is freeware and boundled to Pocket PC). Please explain futher.

ctmagnus
03-25-2004, 05:09 AM
Outlook 2002 Add-in: Pocket Contact Synchronizer 1.2 (http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/opcs.aspx)

I don't know if this works in versions of Outlook other than 2002, though.

flyingfemme
03-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Thanks CT - almost there but it's only a one-way thing. My Palm has a full synch on any folder I choose..........

Sven Johannsen
03-25-2004, 03:49 PM
If I understand you correctly, you want a contact capability distinct from Outlook that you can sync with a PC, which is used by you and your partner.

That sounds like a database app. The easiest one I can think of would be HanDBase. It has a desktop and PPC component and they have a tremendous library of pre-built applications. Surely a contact manager is among them. If KeyContacts has a text file ouput, I would expect you could even export and import your current data.

(http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbase_ppc.html?UID=2004032510013120.137.146.50)

Janak Parekh
03-25-2004, 06:12 PM
If I understand you correctly, you want a contact capability distinct from Outlook that you can sync with a PC, which is used by you and your partner.
Sounded like to me that she has two Contacts folders in Outlook -- i.e., perhaps different PSTs, at least different folders. ct's link only copies it one-way. Does any other sync tool (like the IntelliSync, etc.) support two-way with non-standard Contacts folders?

--janak

flyingfemme
03-25-2004, 10:25 PM
Janak has it - I don't use my default contacts file in Outlook; I use another that is kept on a network machine and shared. On the Palm I have Keycontacts, which uses the Outlook folders but lets me choose which one I synch to my Palm.

We both synch to the same master folder and so we only keep one address book for the company. Much easier and neater than having to tell somebody else that something has changed!