View Full Version : Yes, John Carroll Bought A Zune

Damion Chaplin
01-12-2007, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/?p=1630' target='_blank'>http://blogs.zdnet.com/carroll/?p=1630</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>&quot;I have placed myself squarely in a niche market. Compared to the juggernaut that is the iPod, the Zune is barely a drop in the bucket. Microsoft hopes to sell 1 million Zunes by June. Apple sells more iPods than that in a month. You can't walk two blocks in LA without seeing an iPod ad. Zune ads are starting to appear in key places around town, but they could do with a bit of &quot;refinement&quot; (explained tomorrow or thereabouts, plus photos). <font face="Arial">Why, then, did I buy a Zune? Quite simply: because it is guaranteed to plug into Microsoft's growing ecosystem of home media products.&quot;</font></em></p><p><font face="Arial">Well, John may not have had a chance to play with his Zune yet, but he's certainly got a well-thought-out reason for buying a Zune. It was certainly more thought-out than my justification (OK, I really didn't have one). The XBox 'ecosystem' is a fantastic reason, and is probably going to make me buy an XBox. So John bought a Zune to complement his XBox, and I'll shortly be buying an XBox to compliment my Zune (No, that's not the only reason). How did you justify your Zune? <br /></font></p>

NPrtmn4evr
01-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Personally, I bought my Zune because I wanted my own video mp3 player, and already had a video iPod (although it was primarily my wife's ;) ). I have an Xbox360, but that didn't have an effect on my purchase, it's just a nice bonus.

Phillip Dyson
01-12-2007, 01:57 AM
I've already succumbed to buying an Xbox 360 and have been feeling the pull to buy the Zune.

Actually the introduction of the iPhone has given me pause. Not because I'm considering buying it, but because I feel that MS definitely is under pressure to provide an answer to it.

Depending on what ThougtsMedia site you're on, people are speculating which platform MS will use to do that. Will it come in Windows Mobile? Or will it be Zune?

Personally I think it'll be on the Zune platform, maybe borrowing from WM.

My justfication to purchase one (which I haven't yet) actually fizzled to a wait and look to Redmond.

kryptman40k
01-14-2007, 05:25 PM
I bought my zune because of the screen. I've pretty much held back and never bought a real mp3 player because i've never liked the ipod.

the screen and the blank black and white text + the scroll wheel annoyed me. I've never liked how macs run and i hated the idea of installing itunes.

The zune just looks cooler, is much tougher, and sounds great.

It's a very solid mp3 player and though the updates are going to be slow in coming i'd rather wait for them than bow down to apple fandom.