View Full Version : Toshiba e755 alarm notification problem

wsegard
03-15-2004, 03:12 PM
I have a Toshiba e755 which has an appointment notification problem. When ever the unit is shut off and an appointment alarm is set for the next day (ie: 12:01am and later) the unit will not wake up and give an alarm for the appointment when it comes due. If however I turn it on before the alarm is due that same day and then it is subsequently shut down either by myself or the auto shut off, the alarm will go off. I have tried doing a soft reset to no avail. When I do a hard reset with data keyed directly into the calandar, notes, todo, etc, the alarm works fine. When I update the unit with synronization from my PC with Outlook 2000 with no other applications installed (just those that came installed with the unit) The problem comes back. The unit came with Pocket PC 2003 pre-installed. The daily alarm function also does not go off after the unit has been updated from Outlook. Has anyone heard of or encountered this problem?

Falstaff
03-15-2004, 06:14 PM
This is not a device specific problem. It is a flaw in PPC 2003. At midnight, the device turns itself on to do housekeeping stuff, but MS didn't make the time long enough, so all the work doesn't get done (including stuff related to the alarms), so the alarms don't always work. It won't be fixed until an OS fix comes out.

Janak Parekh
03-15-2004, 06:36 PM
I believe there are third-party solutions, though; you might want to try a search on these forums.

--janak

wsegard
03-17-2004, 03:48 AM
This is not a device specific problem. It is a flaw in PPC 2003. At midnight, the device turns itself on to do housekeeping stuff, but MS didn't make the time long enough, so all the work doesn't get done (including stuff related to the alarms), so the alarms don't always work. It won't be fixed until an OS fix comes out.

If what you are suggesting is true, then I would guess the reason it works fine with a clean slate (hard re-set and minimal data input) is that there is minimal house keeping to do?

Steven Cedrone
03-17-2004, 04:04 AM
wsegard,

You can try the Burr Oak tweak (http://www.burroak.on.ca/wm2k3tweaks.html) to see if it helps. On the page is a link to a very long thread about this whole issue.

Steve