View Full Version : SSID and wep info is not being retained

fit4life
03-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Help...

I have a H5555 and the SSID and wep info is not being retained. If you enter the info in and either power off the device or turn off the wireless, it clears it out. The only way to get it back on is to re-enter everything. Anyone else experience this?? and any ideas on how to fix it????

It is making me MAD!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

paulzazzarino
03-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Make sure you have the latest fix pack, there were some big fixes for the WiFi interface around 11-2003. I was having really querky problems until applying the fixes.

fit4life
03-16-2004, 05:43 PM
All of the updates are installed. This just started to happen. Nothing new was installed or removed.

??????????

:microwave: <---- This is how if feel....

paulzazzarino
03-16-2004, 05:52 PM
the 5555 autosenses Wi-Fi networks, typically you just select the network you want and enter the sid. Sounds like something else is going on for example security was enabled on the WLAN.

fit4life
03-17-2004, 06:13 AM
You are 100% correct about the auto SSID option in windows mobile 2003. However that is not the issue in my case. I do run a secure network and the SSID is not broadcast. You need to manually enter it. The issue is after you enter it and get it working it will clear out after the wifi is shutdown or you power off the PPC... I have tried to reinstall the wifi patches to see if that would help and still NG...

Awesome PPC community... PLEASE HELP

paulzazzarino
03-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Since you are not broadcasting the SID, you are rolling the dice. There is no standard on how to handle this since and manufacturers handle this differently. As a test try enabling the broadcast.

fit4life
03-17-2004, 05:17 PM
The issue is not that the device does not pick up broadcasted SSID's, it is that once a SSID is entered in the device, along with its WEP key, it is not retained after powering down the device or the WiFi antenna.

Jorgen
03-17-2004, 06:09 PM
The WEP is normally stored in the registers. Try to check with regedit what's up there.

Which card are you using? If sandisk SD card, try the drivers for Socket (same card I am told).

Jorgen

paulzazzarino
03-17-2004, 06:33 PM
yes, i understand the problem you are experiencing...

There is no standard on how to handle AP's that do not broadcast SIDs. Each manufacturer "compensates" for this a little differently. This may be the bane of the problem you are experiencing. So as a test, re-enable the sid broadcasts on your AP, soft-boot the 5555 a few times and tell us how it behaves.

(the 5555s have their own built-in 802.11b card)

thunderck
03-24-2004, 10:49 PM
In some WIFI sistuations the info will not be retained unless the connection is made with the AP. Are you able to connect at least once?

fit4life
03-25-2004, 03:12 AM
Yes it does connect and it used to hold the ssid. I have a call into HP, but they have not responded yet.

ombu
03-25-2004, 03:44 AM
Well, I'm really tired tonight :? but if I understand your case, here's the way I worked it out, let's see if I can help.

Tap the connection icon, select configuration, then the advanced tab. Tap on the card tab and CREATE A NEW CONNECTION with your SSID and key. Go out of the conf and wait till the connection you just created starts working.

That's the way it retained my data.

Hope this helps.