View Full Version : New to PDA.. HP 2215 questions/advice needed

mnealtx
03-15-2004, 04:04 AM
Hello all,

New to Pocket PCs and the site. I've done some searches against the info I'm about to ask for and haven't found anything conclusive, so here goes:

Have a 2215, and the following questions -

1. I currently have Wisbar Advanced and Calendar Plus installed. Is there a freeware prog that does the same sort of viewing for upcoming tasks as the Calendar Plus does for appointments? Or, failing that, a combined program that would let me view appts and tasks up to, say, a week out?

2. Concerning Wifi - is there an advantage to the SD card over the CF, or vice versa? I'm thinking of the ability to hit airport hotspots while travelling to keep up with email/messages home. The possibility of an SD wifi card brings me to the next question....

3. Cases - I'm torn between the Sena case and the Vaja Ivolution - not sure which way I'll go (probably Sena) but will there be a problem with storing an SD Wifi card in either of these cases due to the extra length of the card? Also, with either of these cases, will the belt clip post make it too bulky to put in a shirt/pants pocket if needed?

4. Other general software - anything else anyone would like to recommend? I'm mainly using it for PIM stuff and some ebooks right now, and due to where I'm at (currently supporting the military in Kosovo) my ability to buy software from places like Handango and the like is very limited. I'm open to suggestions, though...

Thanks in advance for any/all help...

Mike
[email protected]

A Texan in Kosovo

dac035
03-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Welcome to the PPC world.

I currently own a 2215. I have owned several iPAQs and this one is my favorite. Here are my opinion to your questions.

1. I use Wisbar and dashbord. There are some programs that can view more then two days. I find if I view more then 5 days out I do not have enough room in my screen.

2. I use SD memory for my main memory expansion. I suggest buying a 256 minimum. I use a WiFi CF card for wireless access. The reason I use the CF card is purely economical. CF cards are cheaper then buying a SD WiFi card. And during thetimes I don not use the WiFi card I use a CF card for extra memory (movies, music, games).

3. Cases is tough. I own a Vaja leather case and a Sena leather case. For everyday use, I use the Sena case. Most of the time, when I am in the office, I place the iPAQ on the cradle. The Sena case allows it to sit on the cradle without taking it out of the case. This is a big issue for me. I use the Vaja case when traveling since I do not use the cradle and use a synch cable.

4. Look for a good PIM software. Both Agenda and Pocket Informant are very good. It is based on user prefrence.

Good luck.

mnealtx
03-15-2004, 08:01 PM
Dac035,

Thanks for the reply - I've messed around a bit with Fusion Agenga, but it was a lot more than what I need. Pocket informant seems to be the same way. I just want to be able to see, oh, my next 3 appts and next 3 tasks on my Today screen. I've been browsing around the PPC related boards, and the Today Plus program looked like it would've been just the thing, but, unfortunately.....

I'm trying to use this new toy to get better organized - put in my appts and daily/weekly tasks so I'm reminded of them rather than trying to remember them myself.

Currently I have WisBar Advance, Calendar Plus and System Monitor loaded. Calendar Plus gives me a view of the next "X" days of appointments, I just want to find something that'll do the same for tasks!!

I've got a 512mb CF card that I have a couple of ebooks and some work reference manuals stored on, a 64mb SD card that's currently empty and access to a 256mb SD card that I've got music stored on for my MP3 player (unfortunately, it's not MP3 format - neither media player or the included Real player can play them, so I"m stuck with the MP3 player for that).

I was looking at the SD Wifi card because it seems most of the cases don't have the storage for a CF card - have you had a problem with that? Admittedly, it wouldn't be a problem to swap back and forth between CF cards if I needed to, I just like the idea of being able to carry it all with me in the case.

Thanks again for the welcome, and the reply. Any info or suggestions at all are GREATLY appreciated.

Mike
[email protected]
A Texan in Kosovo

mnealtx
03-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Well, I'm giving Scarybear's QuickAgenda and QuickTask software a try. Seems to be okay so far, gives me a look at what I have coming up during the next week, which is pretty much what I'm looking for.

Wonder if I get a discount if I buy both at once? :lol:

Anyone with info/opinions on other software, cases or WiFi cards, please chime in - I'm still up in the air on the rest of it.

Thanks!

Mike
[email protected]
The Texan in Kosovo

g.arcinotti
03-16-2004, 12:48 AM
For a more flexible view of tasks and appts I used Tagenda on my old 3630 you can find it here (http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/kohgo/index_en.html) it's freeware and works well for me.
You can choose how many line you want use over today screen and more other options.
Give it a try :wink:
For the cases I've you same doubts 'cause I'm waiting for my new 2210 and gonna see how it is before choose my cases but if you wanna use a WiFi card you can choose a cases with opening on the left or right instead of flip top opening sistem, there's a lot of this over the web and there's a discussion at this link (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25517) with so many useful links.
I going to recommend you SBP PocketPlus it's a beautyful taskswitcher and obviously Calligrapher the great Calligrapher.
Byez

mnealtx
03-16-2004, 01:31 AM
Guiliano,

Thanks for the recommendations - unfortunately I can't access the site for Tagenda, it's unreachable from here where I'm at. I've dropped calendar plus, and now have the following:

WisBar Advance
ScaryBear Quick Agenda
ScaryBear Quick Tasks
Journal Bar
System Monitor

I'm not having many problems (except for symbols and the like) with the built in letter recognizer, so I'll probably hold off on Calligrapher for a bit. Also, I thought I read in one forum or another about a possible memory leak? Maybe it was a different program, I'll have to try to find the info again.

WiFi - I know I won't be using the WiFi constantly, but more likely when I'm travelling back home for vacation - going to Yahoo to send an email to the wife to let her know of any flight schedule changes. I was envisioning something like an SD Wifi card w/memory to store a scan program to identify WiFi hotspots, and have it be a small enough form factor to store in the case.

Cases - Can anyone tell me how well an SD WiFi (or for that matter, a CF WiFi if that's what you have) stores in a Sena case? I think it's probably going to be the one I end up getting. I'd also like to hear from anyone that is using the belt clip version as to if the post is removable from the case for pocket use, and if not, does the case make it too thick to put in a shirt or pants pocket?

Thanks again for the reply and the recommendations.