View Full Version : Looking for Latest Info on 1GB SD Cards

shawnc
03-13-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm trying to be patient as I REALLY need a 1GB SD card. My question is two-fold. One, does anyone have one of these and are there any reliability issues (please, no comments on the GENERAL unreliability of sandisk, just the 1GB card in particular).

Two, whats the least expensive these cards are selling for? We all know they are grossly overpriced. I'm willing to go as high as $300, but regardless of need, I simply can't see myself shelling out $400 for a card. Geez, thats what I paid for my Ipaq!!!!

As always, any thougths/comments are appreciated.

Janak Parekh
03-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Re the 2nd: PriceGrabber generally comes closest to the lowest price.

http://pocketpcthoughts.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1892609/search=1GB%2520SD/ut=182e6354a9311265

I think around $340 is about the lowest for now. I suspect it'll take a few months before it dips below the $300 price point.

--janak

shawnc
03-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Janak,

Thanx for the link. So you think it will be a while before we hit the sweet spot of $300? I MIGHT be willing to go $350 since that includes taxes and shipping. I'm going to have to think about it for a couple of days.

Do you know if this is one of the PPC Thoughts sponsored vendors? I always try to purchase through links from this site whenever possible.

Janak Parekh
03-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Do you know if this is one of the PPC Thoughts sponsored vendors? I always try to purchase through links from this site whenever possible.
Thanks for your support... but it's not. ;) I think Jason gets a penny or two if you click through PriceGrabber, but that's it. Nevertheless, you should definitely go for the best deal from the most reputable vendor for your own sake. ;)

--janak

shawnc
03-21-2004, 01:50 PM
OK, I now officially have invested more in memory cards than my device costs :evil: . Though I will say this, the Sandisk 1g sd card seems awfully fast. I have never paid attention to read/write speeds on the various cards (I'll leave that to the more technically inclined folks) and I don't know if this card is rated higher than previous sandisk cards, but it was extremely fast in transferring data from my 128 and 512 cards. It also seems quicker when going through my mp3 playlists. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Oh well, at $350, here's hoping that my luck with sandisk continues.

dh
03-21-2004, 02:03 PM
There is an article over at Brighthand saying that Panasonic will have their 1GB SD card on sale in May. http://www.brighthand.com/article/Matsu****a_1_GB_SD_Card_Coming_in_May

The price is supposed to be the same as the Sandisk, but the competition might force them both down a bit. I'd like to get a 2GB CF card to replace my 1GB one. According to Pricegrabber, these can be found for just under $400 now.

shawnc
03-21-2004, 03:24 PM
David,

I didn't see the Brighthand article, but I did read something on CNET regarding the Panasonic card. I thought the pricing was going to be closer to $450. I thought about waiting, but Janak provided a link that allowed me to get it for $350 including shipping. I just figured it was too good to pass up and it really wasn't worth waiting to save a few bucks. Plus, I have been one of those who has had nothing but success with many sandisk cards.

I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed on this one........

dh
03-21-2004, 03:48 PM
David,

I didn't see the Brighthand article, but I did read something on CNET regarding the Panasonic card. I thought the pricing was going to be closer to $450. I thought about waiting, but Janak provided a link that allowed me to get it for $350 including shipping. I just figured it was too good to pass up and it really wasn't worth waiting to save a few bucks. Plus, I have been one of those who has had nothing but success with many sandisk cards.

I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed on this one........
I'm sure you'll be fine. I had a few problems when I was using a Sandisk 256MB card, but I believe it was as much my Axim at fault as Sandisk. The two don't seem to get along very well.

I can imagine that Sandisk are making the 1GB cards on their most sophisticated production equipment so the quality should be good.

You'll have to check in from time to time with your thoughts on the reliability. With so many PPCs being SD only these days, that 1GB card (and bigger ones when they arrive) is going to be a sought after item. :D

Janak Parekh
03-21-2004, 08:33 PM
OK, I now officially have invested more in memory cards than my device costs :evil:.
Having purchased SD and CF memory over the years, I'm not surprised. ;) At least SD memory cards should work in newer devices. Congrats on your purchase shawnc, and good luck. :)

--janak

ctmagnus
03-22-2004, 12:21 AM
Though I will say this, the Sandisk 1g sd card seems awfully fast. I have never paid attention to read/write speeds on the various cards (I'll leave that to the more technically inclined folks) and I don't know if this card is rated higher than previous sandisk cards, but it was extremely fast in transferring data from my 128 and 512 cards.

Do you have any speed comparisons? I have a Lexar 256MB SD card that the PC can copy 190MB of WMA files to in under five minutes. That same data takes 15 minutes to copy over to a similarly-formatted Sandisk SD card.

shawnc
03-22-2004, 01:05 AM
OK, I now officially have invested more in memory cards than my device costs :evil:.
Having purchased SD and CF memory over the years, I'm not surprised. ;) At least SD memory cards should work in newer devices. Congrats on your purchase shawnc, and good luck. :)

--janak

I had pretty much made up my mind that I was tired of waiting. The lowest price I saw was $400 shipping included. With the link you provided, it cost me $350 total and I received the card TWO days after I ordered it.

My point?? Thanx to you I saved $50. Just wanted you to know that I appreciate it :D .