View Full Version : SanDisk or Lexar?!?

jook00
03-13-2004, 09:45 AM
I need a card. I hear problems for both. What are the pros and cons?
- SanDisk 128MB Secure Digital Card
- Lexar 128MB Secure Digital Card

Pony99CA
03-13-2004, 10:08 AM
I need a card. I hear problems for both. What are the pros and cons?
- SanDisk 128MB Secure Digital Card
- Lexar 128MB Secure Digital Card
I've heard a lot of bad things about SanDisk (and had problems with one of their 128 MB cards myself). I haven't heard any bad things about Lexar.

Look at the SD Card Problem List (http://sdprob.aximsite.com/) and see how many more times SanDisk is mentioned than Lexar. Of course, that could just indicate that SanDisk sells a lot more cards than Lexar, but I don't know for sure.

Steve

Anthony Caruana
03-13-2004, 10:48 AM
My understanding is that Sndisk sell more cards than anyone else so that might be part of the reason that there are more complaints. Also, there were some reports that Axim X5's had an issue with their SD slots so the list Steve referred to, being at Aximsite, might reflect an issue with the Dells rather than the cards.

All of that aside, I can really only talk about my experience. I've used Sandisk CF and SD cards almost exclusively over the last 6 or 7 years and not one has ever failed me or let me down in any way. I take cards and use them from PDA to laptop (with an adaptor) to camera to PC (with internal card reader) and never lose any data.

I ubnderstand that Sandsk cards are not the quickest around, but my experience is that they work.

Ripper014
03-13-2004, 12:05 PM
The same thing I can only speak from my own experience... I have had Sandisk SD Cards in the past... 1-64mb 2-128mb and 2-256mb of these cards I have had 2-128mb cards fail and 1-256 mb card fail... not a very good track record... I have since switched to a Lexar and so far it has work perfectly...

As far as the CF Cards... I have never had one fail on me... I have used Kingston and SanDisk...

arnage2
03-13-2004, 05:59 PM
id say look for the best price. (they are virtually the same)

ctmagnus
03-13-2004, 10:40 PM
If you can find similarly prices cards (my experience indicates that Lexars are generally more expensive that Sandisks), go for the Lexar. I find it's twice as fast in my iPaq than the Sandisk and three times as fast on the desktop. But I've never had any issues with either other than slowness on the Sandisk.

foosball_monkey
03-14-2004, 04:02 AM
Reliable card brands are Lexar, Panasonic, and PNY (with a lifetime warranty!!!). I'd stay away from Sandisk if possible.