View Full Version : Live Video Stream to PPC?

Ryan Joseph
03-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Okay, I had an idea today and I wanted to see if anyone here would know how to do it. I have a PPC Phone with GPRS access and I have cable Internet at home.

I'd like to set up a web cam on my computer and send the live video to a web site that I could then access anywhere via my PPC. Talk about cool.

Is there any way I can set up something like this and have it password protected? I wouldn't want just anyone being able to access the video stream.

Has anyone done anything like this or does anyone know how to set it up?

ppcsurfr
03-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Do you have a static IP address assigned to your PC?

GPRS is a service... just like ISPs... that means you really don't directly connect to your PC but through the Internet.

It should be possible... but your PC should be visible on the Internet.

I think you will have a better chance if you dial up to your PC instead.

Mabuhay!!!

Carlo

M@
03-14-2004, 06:49 PM
The easiest option would be to get you computer to periodically - every few minutes? - upload a image file of what the webcam is seeing to the internet and then use your Pocket PC to view that via PIE...

The hardest option is setting up web streaming.. which I am currently trying to do with TSReader, A Wireless Network, PocketLan and a range of other unstable software.

Ryan Joseph
03-15-2004, 04:15 AM
Yeah, I found a program that does that...it takes a snapshot every ten seconds and uploads that to a website (I use my Comcast web space).

The program is Active Web Cam and the trial version is free. I don't think it ever expires, but it puts the word UNREGISTERED in the top left of all uploaded pictures. I can live with that.

Active Web Cam has the ability to do a video stream, but it requires Java. I have not been able to find a Java plugin for PPC...anybody know of one?

Kash76
03-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Try using windows media encoder with your webcam. I stream video and audio to my 2215 with it. I stream 35k audio through my Sprint card and 128k audio and 148k video through my wireless network.

Works pretty well!!