View Full Version : just picked up a jornada 567.. problem..?

smoger
03-11-2004, 09:42 AM
hey all,.. i should mention this is my first pocket pc but im far from a computer newbie overall.

just picked up a jornada 567 from ebay. when it arrived, i immediately had trouble with it. i quickly determined that the backup battery was dead. replaced it.

later on i realized the battery that was sent with it wasnt holding a charge, so i replaced the battery with a brand new one.

now, with the brand new battery, fully charged, the system is usable without ac power, HOWEVER.. it is randomly shutting itself off.

when this occurs the screen contents are still visible, but the unit is off. when i hit the power key, it shows the hp welcome screen.

earlier today it almost seemed this was occuring when i was closing the screen cover, i almost thought it was a feature that i wasnt aware of.

anyway, with ac power it works flawlessly, and the shutting down on battery power seems completely random ..

any thoughts?

Fishie
03-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Sounds like you bought yourself a dud.

smoger
03-11-2004, 10:43 AM
actually ive been fooling around with it, and found it to be something very simple.. the screws were loose, allowing the battery to lose contact.

seems to be good as new now, except some dust behind the screen.(but ive been browsing this forum and i see theres not much hope for that.. oh well)

funny,.. as i was typing this message the unit was sitting on the desk turned on, and the backlight went off.. and i thought it turned itself off on me again hehe. i gotta lot to learn with this thing!

arnage2
03-11-2004, 01:43 PM
you bought someone elses problems. (i hope you didnt spend more than $30 on that, or he screwed you over)

Stephen Beesley
03-11-2004, 03:05 PM
actually ive been fooling around with it, and found it to be something very simple.. the screws were loose, allowing the battery to lose contact.

seems to be good as new now, except some dust behind the screen.(but ive been browsing this forum and i see theres not much hope for that.. oh well)

funny,.. as i was typing this message the unit was sitting on the desk turned on, and the backlight went off.. and i thought it turned itself off on me again hehe. i gotta lot to learn with this thing!

If you are in the US then PocketPCTechs (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/hp56xscrnrwk.asp) will do a complete screen rework including getting rid of the dust and sealing the unit for $50 including shipping. I know if I was in the US (alhough they do have resellers in other parts of the world) I would be sending my 568 in for this service!

jnajera
03-11-2004, 03:59 PM
By the time he sends in to get repaired the cost of the unit would be almost as if he should have gotten himself a new lower end model like the 1945 ipaq.

smoger
03-11-2004, 04:55 PM
thanks for the advice, i may check that out if the problem ever gets bad enough to bug me, right now theres just a very small trace of dust.

to the person who said i bought someone elses problems, i dont believe thats the case at all. since tightening the casing the unit works just fine,and i actually did get a good deal on it with a pharos gps setup(the main reason i wanted it)

If you are in the US then PocketPCTechs (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/hp56xscrnrwk.asp) will do a complete screen rework including getting rid of the dust and sealing the unit for $50 including shipping. I know if I was in the US (alhough they do have resellers in other parts of the world) I would be sending my 568 in for this service!