View Full Version : A couple of questions on the iPaq 4155

3rdNormal
03-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Hi all...

I've been lurking for a while and have gleaned all sorts of useful insights into the PPC world. This certainly is a great resource for all things PPC.

I'm presently debating between jumping from the Palm (well actually, the Sony Clie camp) to the PPC. Specifically I'm interested in the iPaq 4155.

I have a couple of questions that I was unable to find answers to when searching this site.

1. What sort of battery life can I expect where my day comprises:
30% wifi
30% mp3 playing
60% pim usage/.net development/game playing etc
I guess I'm looking for the total number of hours between charging given the criteria above

2. Does the WMP do movies in landscape?

Thanks for your insights - I appreciate any help.

Cheers

Mike

amin
03-10-2004, 07:34 PM
I use my 4155 similarly to what you listed, but I still can't estimate the battery life because I only use it about one hour daily and charge nightly. As for your second question, yes WMP plays movies in landscape.

Mark Kenepp
03-10-2004, 08:44 PM
30% wifi
30% mp3 playing
60% pim usage/.net development/game playing etc

So that's:

7.2 hours WiFi
7.2 hours MP3 Playing
14.4 Hours pim usage, etc.

almost a 30 hour day :razzing:

I don't have any experience with WiFi yet but from what I understand, any connection type sage (IR, Bluetooth and WiFi) will require extra power from your PDA.

As for the other two, the biggest screen drain will be from the screen and backlight.

I have listened to music on my old Jornada 568 for close to 8 hours before it required charging. I do turn the screen off when listening to music.

Last night, I was playing Crazy Bubbles (http://www.pocketmind.com/crazybubbles.htm) for at least 2 hours. So with the screen and backlight on, it used up a good 30% of my battery on my iPaq 2215.

Obviously your results will differ.

Dave Potter
03-10-2004, 08:47 PM
I use mine alot for WiFi and get about 3 hrs out of the standard battery. I also have an extended battery which lasts about 5.5 to 6 hours of heavy WiFi. When I travel, I watch alot of movies (in landscape) and it last about the same - 3 hrs standard battery and 5.5 to 6 hours with the extended battery.

Hope this helps!

3rdNormal
03-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the responses people.

Mark - Sometimes it feels like a 30hr day. But you'd really think with this programming thing I'm doing, that I'd at least have figured out that arithmetic part by now :D

Cheers

Mike

outdoor
03-10-2004, 10:43 PM
hey mike,
I'm also a new ppc user who switched from a clie (NX70) to ipaq4150. I'm glad that i made the switch, because ppc suits me the best in internet usage, as well as a "laptop replacement" for me.

Like zipper i own a standard and extended battery. The Standard battery (1000mah) on mine lasts around 2.5 to 3 hours of usage (using mostly wifi, play games, PIM). with the extended battery (1800mah), you can get plenty of juice. Zipper saids it can last 5 to 6 hours, but if you don't use wifi and just do normal PIM, hmm i think you dont need to charge it for 2 weeks!

i'm glad that you've made a decision to switch, and i believe the ipaq4150 is an excellent device.

3rdNormal
03-11-2004, 12:05 AM
Hi outdoor...

For interest sake, what did the 1800mah battery cost ya and does it add any significant bulk to the 4150?

Also, have you been able to find replacement progs in the PPC world that you were using on the NX70?

Thanks again for your insights.

Cheers

Mike

outdoor
03-11-2004, 01:12 AM
The extended battery does add a bit of bulk to my 4150. However, i must say that the extra bulk does fit better in hand than the original battery. Search brighthand forums and you can find pictures of the extended battery on the 4150 (sorry i'm typing with my ppc now, too lazy to switch over and find the thread :P )

as for software, i pretty have all the apps i needed. First of all, all the office apps (word, excel) are preinstalled, so i can use it right away. Again, the internet apps are also preinstalled. Pocket IE, inbox and msn messenger works perfectly, unlike palm you have to purchase the software.

apart from those, alot of my apps from my clie are mostly games so i guess my ppc can do anything my clie could.

3rdNormal
03-11-2004, 01:26 AM
outdoor, thanks.

One more question and I promise not to bug ya :D .

My experience with HotSync is that it just works. What's your take on ActiveSync? I'm a little nervous with what I've read on a number of threads on this board about it's deficiencies.

Thanks

Mike

outdoor
03-11-2004, 03:34 AM
i admit that activesync is very different than palm's hotysnc. At first i was kind of suprised to see that as soon as you put your ppc in the cradle it will turn on and sync itself... i felt kinda weird not including a sync button on the cradle.

at first i find the activesync software simple, but at the same time difficult to use, because i am not familar of the software.

however, as you play with the program, after a while you'll get used to it.

p.s: you can always bug me anytime haha i'm always here to help!