View Full Version : ipa5500 now slow on startup?

atv
03-10-2004, 02:43 PM
hi
i have a ipaq hp 5500, and since recently after the hp boot screen it takes sometimes up to 6-7! seconds to come up with the today screen. after that it seems ok. although sometimes i do get 'cannot start thisorthatprogram.exe' which seem memory related.

is the slow startup/display memory related or what? or some bad software maybe. probably hard to say though.
my memory now is:
total: 126.63
storage free: 30.55
program free: 27.79

Anyone any suggestions on how to speed up this thing? It's not like i have kazillion plugins on the today screen. actually no plugins at all. maybe there is a directory where i should look on the filesystem?

it's not a big problem but with an ipaq like this it should be pretty fast and snappy right. i'm already storing most of the program on sd storage card to save on main memory. oh, and i also find the battery just to quickly draining. 4hours nonstop browsing and it's empty.

also, on another note, i have a pocketmvp for w2003 but it can't play url, browse, or add to the playlist. anyone else have this problem?

thx

buckyg
03-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Hi,
Here are a couple of things to try.

- Look in \Windows\Startup <- These are where the autostart program shortcuts go. BioDetect is the fingerprint reader driver. BTTrayCE is the BlueTooth manager. DM_K is for expansion packs. (If you don't use one, you can move this shortcut elsewhere. If you use one in the future, put it back here) Poutlook is Pocket Outlook. Maybe something else is in there that's a hog? If you want to experiment, you could move the shortcut to another folder. If it breaks something, put it back. (Do a backup first, just in case)

- Clean out your IE Temporary Internet Files: In PIE, Tools, Options, on the General tab, click Delete Files.

Most of your programs are installed on a storage card and you're that low on memory? That seems low.

Yes, the battery does go quickly when using wifi, I believe that's common.

I hope that this helps.
Regards,
buckyg

Steven Cedrone
03-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Also, get yourself a copy of CheckNotifications (http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html) and see what your notification database looks like...

Steve

ppcsurfr
03-10-2004, 05:44 PM
I hope you didn't put all your apps in the SD card... even those that are supposed to be in Main RAM...

Some apps are designed to run on Main memory. You're sure all the apps in storage card are designed to run on the storage card... right???

Some might be needed on main memory and it might be waiting for the SD card to be visible to the system in order to complete a task...

Carlo

atv
03-10-2004, 09:04 PM
well none of that helped. checknotifications i have tried to get it, but it doesn't work for the 5500, i think it only works for 2002.

i removed shortcuts, deleted the tmp dir (i thought all the notifications were kept there, you know the IMrandom messages), thought it was my inbox (storages attachments on storage card), thought it was tom tom (has benelux on sd card)

and no, last poster who asked me that, i don't think i have any apps on sd which need to be on ram. i normally install it trough a cab file, and if it's small enough, system update, or just something i gotta have it's in main ram. otherwise (pocketquake, scummvm etc.) it's in sd.

but it's weird, i'm beginning to think it's the bioswipe cogent thing because it seems that after the hp boot screen it stays in a white screen for like 6or 7 seconds, then comes up with the today screen.

might still be a ram thing though. i'll just go fiddle with it some more

jkendrick
03-10-2004, 11:00 PM
CheckNotifications and the corresponding notification cleaner ONLY work on WM2003. They are only necessary because of a bug in WM2003 and I've never heard they won't work on the 5500.

http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html

If you're not running these two programs I guarantee you have hundreds if not thousands of old notifications in the database.

atv
03-10-2004, 11:07 PM
would you be so kind as to provide me with the CAB files for these programs? I'm running linux so i can't run the .exe file. It's not a wm2003 installshield file, it must be run on windows. I tried to extract the CABS from the installshield.exe but that didn't work.

i really would like to try that program. thanks!

atv
03-10-2004, 11:10 PM
oh my emailadres is [email protected]
i would very much appreciate it.