View Full Version : REMOVING UNWANTED ICONS

iainphil
03-10-2004, 10:14 AM
I installed a third-party program called PDA Confidential on my iPAQ 2210. Discovered fairly quickly that it wasn't right for me (the program, not the iPAQ!!), I removed it from my PDA. All files are gone, except for the icon, which I find an eyesore. According to HP's online helpdesk, the only way to remove the icon is by performing a hard reset, which will of course mean re-installing EVERYTHING all over again. I'm not too keen on doing this: does anyone know of a solution?
Thanks!!

Pony99CA
03-10-2004, 11:19 AM
I installed a third-party program called PDA Confidential on my iPAQ 2210. Discovered fairly quickly that it wasn't right for me (the program, not the iPAQ!!), I removed it from my PDA. All files are gone, except for the icon, which I find an eyesore. According to HP's online helpdesk, the only way to remove the icon is by performing a hard reset, which will of course mean re-installing EVERYTHING all over again.
HP's help desk said that? :rotfl: See what outsourcing does?

You didn't say whether the icon was located in the Start menu or the Programs folder, but removing it should be easy. Here's what you do:

Start File Explorer.
Navigate to Windows\Start Menu.
If you see an entry for PDA Confidential in the list of files, tap-and-hold the shortcut file and select Delete.
Tap on the Programs folder in the list of files.
If you see an entry for PDA Confidential there, tap-and-hold the shortcut file and select Delete.
Call HP and complain about their crappy tech support. :twisted:

That will ensure the program's icon is gone from both the Start menu and the Programs folder.

Steve

iainphil
03-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Dear Steve,

Many thanks for your prompt, detailed an EXPERT advice!! Works a treat (as you know already of course!). Will certainly complain to HP.

Thanks once again.

Iain :D

powder2000
03-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Ya, this is such a basic procedure, I'm shocked that hp gave you such rediculous instructions. I think all ppc's sold should have a label on the box that refers all newbies to ppcthoughts forums for troubleshooting advice. You can't beet the quick, knowledgeable advice you get in the forums here. Glad you found your solution.

bljarv
03-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Wow, this is a real head-shaker. It makes me wonder if the person who drafted that solution has ever picked up a pocket pc??? :?

I'm glad you questioned that advice and learned that there are better options.

Can you imagine if everyone ran around hard resetting their devices to remove icons???

Sheesh!

Mark Kenepp
03-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Does this mean that the procedure for removing icons form the Desktop on Windows 2000/XP machine is to reformat the hard drive :huh:

bljarv
03-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Does this mean that the procedure for removing icons form the Desktop on Windows 2000/XP machine is to reformat the hard drive :huh:

I like it!!! :lol: I think we can extend this reasoning to lots of things:

The way to correct a typo in a document is to create a new one from scratch.
The way to clean the garbage out of the back seat of your car is to buy a new one.
And I think I'll have to tell my wife that we've been messing up by cleaning our house all of these years, we should have been tearing it down and building it back up from the lumber!

Pony99CA
03-11-2004, 10:29 AM
I like it!!! :lol: I think we can extend this reasoning to lots of things:

The way to correct a typo in a document is to create a new one from scratch.
The way to clean the garbage out of the back seat of your car is to buy a new one.
And I think I'll have to tell my wife that we've been messing up by cleaning our house all of these years, we should have been tearing it down and building it back up from the lumber!
And, when the kid gets dirty.... Well, making a new one could be fun, at least. :twisted:

Steve

pocketpcfox
03-11-2004, 03:42 PM
I installed a third-party program called PDA Confidential on my iPAQ 2210. Discovered fairly quickly that it wasn't right for me (the program, not the iPAQ!!), I removed it from my PDA. All files are gone, except for the icon, which I find an eyesore. According to HP's online helpdesk, the only way to remove the icon is by performing a hard reset, which will of course mean re-installing EVERYTHING all over again.
HP's help desk said that? :rotfl: See what outsourcing does?

This reminds me of a recent article on the subject at Salon.com. The outsourcer's mantra? "We don't support that." More calls equals more $$ for the company, so a "hard reset" is the most profitable advice they can give.

http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2004/02/23/no_support/index.html

vowen
03-14-2004, 10:46 PM
More on the icon removal issue. I tried posting in a the HP thread, but it didn't post properly.

I installed a program from Handango called Password Master. I got two icons in the programs folder -- Password Master & Password Master (2). I couldn't delete either of them -- the tap and hold just launched the program from either icon. I removed the program and did a reset. Then reinstalled -- same result. Both icons are in the Programs folder, not the Start folder. Any ideas?

Thanks, vic

Steven Cedrone
03-14-2004, 11:33 PM
More on the icon removal issue. I tried posting in a the HP thread, but it didn't post properly.

I installed a program from Handango called Password Master. I got two icons in the programs folder -- Password Master & Password Master (2). I couldn't delete either of them -- the tap and hold just launched the program from either icon. I removed the program and did a reset. Then reinstalled -- same result. Both icons are in the Programs folder, not the Start folder. Any ideas?

Thanks, vic

Try again! (Make sure you are using File Exlorer, not going through the Start Menu)

Start File Explorer.
Navigate to Windows\Start Menu.
Tap on the Programs folder in the list of files.
Tap-and-hold the shortcut file and select Delete.

Steve

vowen
03-14-2004, 11:41 PM
That did it. I was trying the tap & hold in the Programs folder. It's gonna take a little while to learn to navigate around my H-4155 -- it's considerably different than my Palm 505.

Thanks for the help.

Vic

Pony99CA
03-15-2004, 02:30 AM
That did it. I was trying the tap & hold in the Programs folder. It's gonna take a little while to learn to navigate around my H-4155 -- it's considerably different than my Palm 505.
As you've figured out, the Programs folder view in File Explorer isn't quite the same as using the Programs folder itself. I thought my instructions were very clear about which to use, though.

For some reason, Microsoft doesn't allow tap-and-hold to work in the Programs folder (and any sub-folders). It would be nice to be able to cut/copy and paste (or delete) icons directly in the folders like you can do on desktop Windows.

Steve