View Full Version : CF sleeve for 4350

Trimac20
03-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Are there any Compact flash expansion sleeves (like a case with a CF slot) compatible with the 4350? The only ones I can find are for old Compaq 3xxx models. I would like to add the capability to accept Compact Flash. If anyone knows where I can find one it would be appreciated.

Gremmie
03-10-2004, 07:11 AM
No, there aren't sleeves for the 4xxx series.

Pat Logsdon
03-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Unfortunately, the only iPaqs compatible with the sleeves are the 3xxx and 5xxx series.

arnage2
03-10-2004, 01:28 PM
your stuck with sdio. The 4355 should have been able to accept expansion sleves.

Trimac20
03-11-2004, 07:23 AM
Sigh, i didn't think so. I hope they release CF sleeves compatible with the 4000 series in the future.

Pony99CA
03-11-2004, 11:14 PM
your stuck with sdio. The 4355 should have been able to accept expansion sleves.
People complained that the iPAQs that accepted sleeves were too bulky. I disagree (which is why I got a 5550 :-)), but I doubt there's any way the 4355 could accept sleeves unless HP came up with a new sleeve design. Don't hold your breath, though. :mrgreen:

Steve

Sven Johannsen
03-12-2004, 05:45 AM
[quote=ARNAGE2]but I doubt there's any way the 4355 could accept sleeves unless HP came up with a new sleeve design. Don't hold your breath, though. :mrgreen:

Steve

Don't even think about holding your breath. Note that there is no sleeve connector on the 4xxx series, so a redesign of the series would need to happen, not just a sleeve redesign. That significant a redesign would be a new series IMHO.

The only current sleeve connection option today would be via the sync port. If that had been designed with sufficient connections to support a sleeve, we'd have seen one by now.

Pony99CA
03-12-2004, 10:23 AM
but I doubt there's any way the 4355 could accept sleeves unless HP came up with a new sleeve design. Don't hold your breath, though. :mrgreen:

Don't even think about holding your breath. Note that there is no sleeve connector on the 4xxx series, so a redesign of the series would need to happen, not just a sleeve redesign. That significant a redesign would be a new series IMHO.
I don't think I've actually seen a 4355, but I assumed it didn't have a sleeve connector. My point was that, even if the 4355 had a sleeve connector, I doubt the existing iPAQ sleeves would fit that form factor, and a new sleeve design would be necessary.

The only current sleeve connection option today would be via the sync port. If that had been designed with sufficient connections to support a sleeve, we'd have seen one by now.
Not necessarily. If the sync connector carries serial and/or USB signals, it should be robust enough to handle some sleeves, I'd think. However, the market for them may not be large enough to justify the engineering needed to produce them.

I'm not saying that it is possible, of course; just that, even if it is technically possible, there may be reasons why it hasn't been done.

Steve