View Full Version : PhatWare Renames HPC Notes To PhatNotes, Adds PhatPad, Outlook 2003 Support

Jason Dunn
03-09-2004, 04:13 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040308005409&newsLang=en' target='_blank'>http://home.businesswire.com/portal...409&newsLang=en</a><br /><br /></div>"PhatWare Corporation, a leading provider of software products and professional services for mobile and desktop computers, today announced that HPC Notes, the company's award-winning notes organization tool for Microsoft Windows Mobile-based Pocket PCs and desktop PCs, has been renamed PhatNotes. The new name reflects the product's move away from the Handheld PC segment and toward users of Microsoft Windows Mobile-based devices. In addition to the name change, PhatNotes now includes a number of productivity improvements, including support for Microsoft Outlook 2003 and PhatWare's PhatPad ink-based notes organizer. The application also features new graphics and other visual and performance enhancements to make note management easier and more enjoyable."<br /><br />I've been suggesting a name change since 2000, so it's nice to see they finally listened to me. :lol: If you're an Outlook Notes fiend, PhatNotes is a useful tool because it allows much more than the normal notes app.

ultraman
03-09-2004, 04:29 AM
BTW, PocketInformant now official integrates with PhatNote.

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=3274

huangzhinong
03-09-2004, 04:54 AM
Yes, I use hpc notes everyday, it is very good. These guys get everything right but one-- drawing. While you can draw in the buildin Notes program once you can't type or click the keyboard, there is no way to do that in HPC notes. You can buy their calligr***(before) or phatpad(now) to get an ink attachment, but it's still not right to get both drawing and typing in one note.

I don't know when they can really address this problem, I expected they will merge hpc notes and phatpad in this release, looks like I am wrong, it is another BUNDLE.

The integration with PI is good, but this is a very very basic integration, just open the database. PI doesn't even support HPC notes catagory, which I think is the core of HPC notes. PI future version may correct that. I hope PI can at least save a PI notes as HPC notes, well, maybe I asked too much.

Anyway, Both PI and Phatnotes are best in their catagory.

alex_kac
03-09-2004, 06:22 AM
We will. PhatWare gave us the ability to do a lot of integration...we decided against a full bore integration on release. Why? Time. But that's about it :) Expect to see more soon, though probably not in the next release.

huangzhinong
03-09-2004, 06:30 AM
We will. PhatWare gave us the ability to do a lot of integration...we decided against a full bore integration on release. Why? Time. But that's about it :) Expect to see more soon, though probably not in the next release.

Hi alex, excited to see you here. Look forward to more integrating.

Stephen Beesley
03-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Yes, I use hpc notes everyday, it is very good. These guys get everything right but one-- drawing. While you can draw in the buildin Notes program once you can't type or click the keyboard, there is no way to do that in HPC notes. You can buy their calligr***(before) or phatpad(now) to get an ink attachment, but it's still not right to get both drawing and typing in one note.

This is the issue that I have the biggest hump about with all of the notes software out there at the moment. In fact I am in the middle (well sort off the middle :D ) of writing up a comparision of a number of PPC notetaking apps see here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12137&start=50) (looks like I will have to include PhatNotes now) and the Notes application in the Newton (which allowed mixed drawings, recognised text, handwritten text and more all in the same note. Hope to finish it next weekend and then I just need to find a home for it (hint hint...)

clintc
03-09-2004, 03:31 PM
I would love to find an inexpensive or free notes application that just does one thing more than the free built in notes app - let you view notes by category. I don't need the other functionality in PhatNotes. So, I haven't been willing to spend the money for it. Just give me view by category!

Clint

dmjames
03-12-2004, 09:09 AM
I have just upgraded to Phatnotes and find the integration with pocketInformat good feature, it is good to see popular PocketPC software developers thinking of users and allowing integration of useful and often used programs :D