View Full Version : Installed and Removed Pocket Divx - now PocketTV wont work!

carrigaline
03-08-2004, 04:41 AM
Hi,

I installed PocketDivx as I heard it was a good program and I wanted to compare it to PocketTV. When installing it asked if I wanted to replace a DLL from some date in 2002 with this other one from a date in 2000 and I said yes in case it was important......anyhow, I decided to remove the program about 5 minutes later and now PocketTv won't work....I uninstalled and reinstalled that but it still won't work on old or new video files.

I think the file that I replaced with the older PocketDivx version must have been removed from my ipaq when I got rid of that program and this is now causing the PocketTV problem. I am guessing it must be some OS file which is needed (I am not a techy person so this is a guesstimate).

I would think others should have had this problem too.....any solutions for this without a hard reset? (I am guessing that would restore all original files but I don't want to lose everything/have to mess around with restoring files due to work setup done lately which I have not backed up yet).

Any help gladly received........thanks!

Pat Logsdon
03-08-2004, 04:56 AM
I'm certain the problem isn't with an OS file - they're in ROM, and so can't be changed by any program. That being the case, I'd guess that PocketMVP overwrote one of PocketTV's files.

To fix it, I'd reinstall Pocket TV, and then reinstall PocketMVP. When it asks if you want to overwrite, say "No", and you should be good to go. PocketMVP should still work fine.

carrigaline
03-08-2004, 05:01 AM
Thanks Pat......Is PocketMVP another name for PocketDivx? If it is then that great.

Wouldn't the fact that I uninstalled PocketTV and reinstalled it have taken care of the missing/overwritten PocketTV file in the scenario you suggest?

Will try to download PocketMVP and see what happens.....

dhettel
03-08-2004, 05:05 AM
Have you tried a simple soft reset?

That could be all you need to do.

carrigaline
03-08-2004, 05:13 AM
Yes....tried it to no avail. It seems now that if I open PocketTV first and select a file in the program then it will work but if I use File Explorer and select the file I want to open the following message comes up:

"Cannot find 'Homevid"(or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the libraries are available."

I notice that the file icon in File Explorer does not have the normal PocketTV icon it used to have before all of this either.....it has a blank Windows type icon as if it can't recognise what type of file it is.........

Ripper014
03-08-2004, 05:20 AM
PocketDvX was the former name of PocketMVP....

carrigaline
03-08-2004, 05:23 AM
I installed PocketMVP (a way better version than the PocketDivx thing I had installed) and the files in File Explorer are now recognised by its file type icon and everything seems to be fine now. Thanks guys!

This player seems better than PocketTV.....is it worth deleting PocketTV and keeping this one now instead?

Thanks again! PocketPCThoughts once again comes to the rescue!

arnage2
03-08-2004, 03:32 PM
pocket mvp is compatable with some of the pdas with built in video cards.

Falstaff
03-09-2004, 12:59 AM
This player seems better than PocketTV.....is it worth deleting PocketTV and keeping this one now instead?

I think the newest version of MVP is a great app. I bought PocketDVD and it installed the latest version (I was one version behind) to ensure compatibility with the output files. It has all the features I want with video.

Pat Logsdon
03-09-2004, 01:09 AM
I think so. But keep in mind that they play different file types. PocketTV plays MPEGs and PocketMVP plays DivX.

Ripper014
03-09-2004, 01:16 AM
PocketMVP will also play Mpegs... but in saying that I have only played short Mpeg clips... it seems that some people have issues with larger files...

The PocketTV Team
04-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Yes....tried it to no avail. It seems now that if I open PocketTV first and select a file in the program then it will work but if I use File Explorer and select the file I want to open the following message comes up:

"Cannot find 'Homevid"(or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the libraries are available."

I notice that the file icon in File Explorer does not have the normal PocketTV icon it used to have before all of this either.....it has a blank Windows type icon as if it can't recognise what type of file it is.........
Just go in PocketTV Menu and select Options > Files > File Associations

Then tap "Yes".

It will repair the registry so that MPEG files will be opened with PocketTV when using the File Explorer.

stlesuxxx
03-31-2006, 11:38 AM
I went to "remove programs" under the settings option and selected "Pocket Divx" a notification came up that said "was not completely removed. Do you want to remove from list of installed programs?". Im getting soo fustrated! Any mpeg file isnt opening now. They used to open in Media Player. I tried reinstalling it and repeating the process but that did nothing.... PLEASE someone help!

The PocketTV Team
03-31-2006, 01:04 PM
> Any mpeg file isnt opening now. They used to open in Media Player.

No, what you write is incorrect: Media Player cannot play MPEG files on Pocket PC's.

In general people install either TCPMP (i.e. Beta Player) or PocketTV to play MPEG files on Pocket PC's or Smartphones. Both of those are free.

stlesuxxx
04-03-2006, 08:30 AM
How do I delete Pocket Divx, fully from my PPC??? It keeps on saying "didnt fully delete". I cant find it in the programs or in the windows folders.?

The PocketTV Team
04-03-2006, 01:01 PM
> How do I delete Pocket Divx, fully from my PPC???

do a soft-reset just before un-installing, it usually solves this type of problem.

stlesuxxx
04-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks. But now a new problem came up. I put in the SD card and go to the "storage device". It shows all the MP3 files on the card but the logo just to the left of all the song titles shows the little picture of a blank white page w/ the microsoft logo in the middle. When I click on the file the error says.
"The file ,blank, cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted cirtificate, or one of its components cannot be found. You might need to reinstall or restore this file"

Ive tried everything, the preloaded files work perfectly in Media Player. Ive tried doing it through MSsinc, tried dumping straight on SD card, tried putting straight on PPC device.
We have 2 of the same phones, only on with the Pocket Divx installed. Thats the one that messed up. Im not sure if doing a complete reset on the device will do it. Im tring everything other than that, thats the last resort.

Pocket Divx has been the worst application ive ever downloaded on a PPC, desktop or anything. It even looked like **** when it worked for about one day.
Ruined my Device.
Im really upset....

The PocketTV Team
04-08-2006, 02:13 PM
> Thanks. But now a new problem came up. I put in the SD card and go to the "storage device". It shows all the MP3 files on the card but the logo just to the left of all the song titles shows the little picture of a blank white page w/ the microsoft logo in the middle. When I click on the file the error says.
> "The file ,blank, cannot be opened. Either it is not signed with a trusted cirtificate, or one of its components cannot be found. You might need to reinstall or restore this file"

that's because PocketDivX removed the default file association for MP3 files when you un-installed it. you need to edit the registry to restore the default file association of MP3 files to the windows media player. contact the PocketDivX author for help on this issue, or use one of the small utilities that is capable of re-associating files with applications.

stlesuxxx
04-10-2006, 10:23 AM
what do you mean by small utilities?