View Full Version : Pocket PC BackUp

tvos
03-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Whene you perform a backup of the pocket pc. Where does the data get stored? Locally to the home pc computer or on the pocket pc? I would like to move the data and place it in a safe place on my pc...
Tvos

Steven Cedrone
03-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Depends on what you use to back it up. ActiveSync backup puts it on the PC. Sprite backup, will put it on the PPC. What king of backup are you doing?

Steve

tvos
03-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Steve,

Thank You for replying to my request. I am using pocketpc backup from MS. The backup software thats comes with PPC2002.

When I perform a backup - does it capture everything on the ppc or just settings?

Dave

Steven Cedrone
03-06-2004, 03:25 PM
So this is the ActiveSync backup? It should back up everything (the resulting backup file should be roughly the same size as the amount of RAM in your device). What type of Pocket PC do you have?

Steve

tvos
03-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Steve,

I have audiovox thera ppc pda-2032 and I think activesync backups it up. Whats the difference between sprite and as backup?

Dave

Steven Cedrone
03-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Well, first of all, Sprite costs money! But, I would never use anything else. ActiveSync backup can be difficult to deal with (restores can be a pain - you have to play with region settings, etc, to get it to restore). Sprite can backup to a card, main memory or your PC. It can be a self executable so you don not need the program to do a restore. I always carry a backup with me, just in case! One other thing: Sprite backup is very fast, takes me only 3 or 4 minutes to back up my 2215.

Steve

tvos
03-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Steve,

I have sprite and was wondering what the differences were. Sprite sounds like a better restore and I noticed you can use it as a "ghost" imaging application which will be good. I find at least a few times a month my ppc gets congested with crap and its good to re-image.

Changing the subject here. This is something I've been trying to figure out and was wondering if all possible. I believe it has to do with the connection settings.

I have outlook on the ppc for pop3 to bring down my mail from the internet via modem. When I connect my ppc to the cradle it also brings the mail down to my ppc using the pop3 account. How can I turn this feature off? All I want is the pc and ppc sync the links/cal/tasks and connect to the internet when in the cradle.

Dave

Steven Cedrone
03-06-2004, 04:45 PM
On the PC, go into ActiveSync, Options, Sync Options, uncheck Inbox.

Steve

Godsongz
03-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Sprite saved my butt the other night when my 2215 spontaneously hard-reset (well, maybe not so spontaneous, it fell :oops: ). I have it on a schedule to backup to the SD card daily at 2:00am, so all I lost were a couple of notes taken during that day and one contact entry which was easy to replace. Having the backup with me on the SD was very nice because I was 200 miles away from home at the time, but able to get my PPC up and running and fully restored in 4 minutes anyway. Too cool.

Steven Cedrone
03-06-2004, 05:54 PM
Yup, for travel, I think Sprite is essential! Don't leave home without it! :wink:

Steve