View Full Version : Where is the THINGIE!!!!

rzanology
03-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Okay, so here we go again with the "thingie" I've been all over forums making a fuss about a thinking for the ipaqs. I dont know if anyone with power is listening, but by the looks of the new ipaqs im guessing they aren't.
For those of you who dont know, the thingie is the little external remote control that most of the mini disk players and come mp3 players have. Not only is this thing "cool" but its very practical. Especially not that ppc's are getting cheaper. I always try to convince people to get a ppc rather than a mp3 player. This would only make things better.
I know i can speak for alot of us when i say that our ipaqs are a all in one media on the go solution. Someone has gooot to get my the thingie. Just imagine...the little silver thingie with the ipaq logo on it...with the blue back light, and a scrolling message saying "1 new message in inbox" cooome oooon...i know you like it!!!
GET ME MY THINGIE!!!!!!

ctmagnus
03-05-2004, 10:14 PM
fwiw, I found a headphone extension with an inline volume control at Radioshack. Not quite the thingie you're looking for but I hope it's a step in the right direction ;)

Janak Parekh
03-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Moved to the iPAQ forum.

And, as I've said before, I don't see this happening for existing iPAQs.

--janak

arnage2
03-05-2004, 10:49 PM
a wired remote would be great. (clie has it)

prismejon
03-05-2004, 11:55 PM
The JVC pocketpc, which never was released, had a remote..

prismejon
03-06-2004, 12:02 AM
"... a headphone with remote control ..." (http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3723.html)

Too bad it never was released :(

Chucky
03-06-2004, 01:26 AM
The idea of a remote control is relatively easy to implement. But not really economically viable, so don't expect it anytime soon.

1. If the IR port is close to the headphone port (ideally next to it) a small IR device could somehow clip onto the iPaq and a seperate app could be used so the buttons on the remote activate what I guess would have to be either user made macros or sent events to applications that support the remote.

2. A bit overkill, same remote, but with a Bluetooth interface :twisted:

3. Having never worked with SDIO I don't know how practical this is, but perhaps you could have an SDIO card with a special connection that then connects to the wired remote. Best thing about this way is simple, neat connection and no need for an external battery. Worst thing is of course all current iPaqs have only one SD slot...doubt many people would give up their extra memory for a remote control :P

Trimac20
03-06-2004, 05:08 AM
I don't see why that should be a problem. Hp or third-party manufactuers could design an 'all-in-one' control which controls music/video controls, as well as navigating through Pocket PC like a mouse. It could work using Bluetooth, Ir or even Wi-Fi. Of course Bluetooth would be preferable. Such a device could retail for about $60, but could be bundled with high-end future models. Thoughts?

ctmagnus
03-06-2004, 06:40 AM
BT is the only way to go here.

Chucky
03-06-2004, 06:54 AM
I wouldn't mind a Bluetooth watch, that would be cool :) But I don't see much use for anything else...if it's an extra item for me to get out of my pocket then I would rather just get out the PPC.

However, I like Trimac's idea of a BT all in one device including a mouse, simply the only reason for me would be games - for everything else touch screen is fine (in fact better than a mouse IMO).

juni
03-06-2004, 11:31 AM
I want a BT remote too :(. So far I've had to settle for the little volume control in the Sennheiser MX500 headphones:

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/products_headphones_portables_04854

rzanology
03-07-2004, 07:02 AM
speaking of bluetooth remotes...check this out.

http://www.sonyericsson.com/us/spg.jsp?page=start

hmmmm...some one please let me know if thats what im looking for.

ctmagnus
03-07-2004, 10:12 PM
speaking of bluetooth remotes... (Sorry!)

Float's Mobile Agent (http://fma.sourceforge.net) will let you control your PC from your mobile phone. :rock on dude!:

:nonono:

Edit: I don't think that's what you're looking for. This connects to a mobile phone via BT, acting as a handsfree unit.