View Full Version : i've got a 5550. newbie questions please help

atv
03-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Hi

I just got a pretty good pda i think. It has wireless and bluetooth etc.

Now, for some questions:

1) How does one setup internet trough wireless? Do i just need to roam trough an area and hope there's a hotspot and from it will work automagically or do i actually have to setup something. because that's not possible, you can only choose between hayescom1, bluetooth, and irda etc.
2) i thought i was being smart and bought myself a usb bluetooth dongle so i can use the notebook's internet connection for internet on the ipaq, without buying me an expensive accesspoint. I SIMPLY CANNOT GET IT TO WORK. I tried on linux, on winXP nothing! is a usb-bluetooth dongle ok for this?
3) When the mainbattery is near empty, it gives a warning that i should charge it. but the other (backup) battery is still 100%. what is exactly the backup battery. is that the battery i put in the ipaq upon making it work?. and if so, do i not still have 100% on that backup battery?
4). i noticed a problem when using checkpoint vpn-1 secureclient. it does not detect activesync connections on ppc2003 whereas it does on ppc2002. just so you know.
5) i thought the thing also had support for cf flash but only sd cards. it does have SUPPORT but you have to buying expansion slots for it. if it already wasn't expensive enough.
5.) the realplayer binary on the cdrom say it's for ARM. seeing as the 5550 is Xscale intel, would that work? It hesitated and did not install it. it ran fine ofcourse on a 3600.

but simply, the most important thing is getting wireless internet on the thing, beit bluetooth or wifi i don't care!

Please help a neophyte user
thanks!
Alef

dhettel
03-04-2004, 11:45 PM
You will need to set up Internet Connection Sharing on your Laptop. With it and most Bluetooth dongles this will work. For the Bluetooth dongle you really need one running the WidComm software IMHO. Their are a lot of picture guides here: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449

You do not want to run the main battery so low that the iPAQ turns off on you. This stresses the main battery and will shorten it's life. IMHO. The backup battery powers the ram when the main battery dies, it can keep the ram going for a few hours. IT will not power the iPAQ, it is just their to keep your data intact.

You may want to check on the checkpoint site, I believe they have an updated driver out now.

You can get a simple CF adapter for less then $50.00, or one with a battery, for less than $100.00 or one with PCMCIA slot and a battery for less than $150.00 That is a lot of different configurations.