View Full Version : Pocket PCs and Magnets???

Ryan Joseph
03-04-2004, 05:54 PM
I recently purchased a Pocket PC phone and I love it. I use it all the time and having GPRS Internet anywhere is very cool.

However, I am having more problems with this one than i have with my other PPCs and I'm wondering if it could be caused by the case I'm using. The case snaps closed with a fairly strong magnet. It's strong enough to stick to the refrigerator, anyway. :wink:

I have to soft reset fairly often because the unit hangs or can't connect. The reset always solves the problem, but I never had to do this with my 2215.

Are these problems with the Phone OS or could the magnet be causing them? Can PPCs be harmed by strong magnets the way PCs and monitors can?

I'd appreciate comments from anyone who knows about this. Thanks!

Dave Potter
03-04-2004, 05:58 PM
I've wondered about these case closure magnets myself as well.

I'm also curious if PPCs can be harmed by magnets?

Pat Logsdon
03-04-2004, 06:03 PM
However, I am having more problems with this one than i have with my other PPCs and I'm wondering if it could be caused by the case I'm using. The case snaps closed with a fairly strong magnet. It's strong enough to stick to the refrigerator, anyway. :wink:

Are these problems with the Phone OS or could the magnet be causing them? Can PPCs be harmed by strong magnets the way PCs and monitors can?
I'd suspect the software you have installed on the PPC. Magnets won't affect a PPC because they don't use magnetic media. :wink:

It shouldn't be a problem even if you use a microdrive, because the magnets are at the bottom of the case, and the CF slot is at the top.

FWIW, I've used Vaja cases with magnetic closures on my last 3 PPCs with no problems.

powder2000
03-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Or the obvious solution.....Take the pocket pc out of the case and see if it acts up. :roll:

The Yaz
03-04-2004, 07:31 PM
I believe that the issues you are incurring are probably software. In other posts, its been noted that the PocketPC Phones can handle roughly 32 processes at any given time. To do the phone processes, the OS is utilizing 20-24 programs, leaving little resources for other operations. Because Microsoft doesn't believe in closing a progam when you "x" it on the screen, it is possible your hangup is more a process issue than magnets.

Steve 8)

Dave Beauvais
03-04-2004, 08:31 PM
I've been using a Vaja Morpheus III case since I reviewed it (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,10394) almost a year ago with no problems whatsoever. The case contains two very strong magnets and the most they've ever done is corrupt a few floppy disks that I accidentally set my iPAQ on top of. My two previous PPCs and the Palm before that also had magnetic case closures and I had no problems.

Ryan Joseph
03-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the comments. I guess I'll keep the magnetic case. :roll:

The info about the running processes is especially helpful. I'll just remember to close the running programs more often.