View Full Version : How To Get A UMTS Pocket PC Phone?

Janak Parekh
03-04-2004, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1823' target='_blank'>http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1823</a><br /><br /></div>"Today, when I've tested some parts of my current 3G project, I thought about how convenient and handy it would be to use my PPCW.Net i-Mate Phone Edition with the speed of the current pre-launch 3G/UMTS networks and hey, why not back to the roots and using WAN via my mobile phone? So I've installed Bluetooth Tools because it adds a Bluetooth modem port to the Phone Edition, bonded my i-Mate Phone Edition with my Nokia 7600 UMTS terminal and created a new dial-up connection."<br /><br />OK, using a Pocket PC Phone backwards like that is just wrong. :lol: Nevertheless, it achieves the desired result -- Arne gets about 100kbps sustained. What's interesting, though, is that CDMA 1xRTT, which has a theoretical max of 144kbps, achieves much closer to its theoretical maximum -- I've gotten 90kbps frequently, and occasionally topped 100kbps on my i700. It'll be interesting to see who wins the "speed" battle as UMTS and 1xEV-DO/DV mature, and it'll be even cooler when Pocket PC Phones come out for each standard.

arebelspy
03-04-2004, 07:01 AM
Why even use the Phone Edition for that then? Couldn't you use any PPC with Bluetooth (especially since the Widcomm software used on the iPAQs is awesome and already has serial access, etc.)? Seems a bit silly to me..

-arebelspy

mty
03-04-2004, 03:36 PM
I'm on T-mobile w/an XDA now, and have said that my next device will be one that runs on the much faster Verizon network. Now that i see the new Motorola clamshell, I'm not so sure. We may end up in a situation where the most innovative devices run on the slower network :(

Janak Parekh
03-04-2004, 09:11 PM
I'm on T-mobile w/an XDA now, and have said that my next device will be one that runs on the much faster Verizon network. Now that i see the new Motorola clamshell, I'm not so sure. We may end up in a situation where the most innovative devices run on the slower network :(
My exact thought process as of late... :cry: :cry: I'm trying to reassure myself that the built-in WiFi will take care of most of my data needs.

--janak