View Full Version : Ppcs and heat. A good mix?

arnage2
03-04-2004, 04:39 AM
I have a Toshiba e805. I want to use it as an mp3 player when i go to hawaii in 2 weeks. Will 3-4 hours of the heat per day (80-85 degrees f) and sun do anything to the units inner workings, screen or any other performance or cosmetic aspect of the unit? I sold my ipod and now have $320 to spend on a 1gb cf card (and a 512 sd card or extended battery) or on an mp3 player. Would it be wise to use my e805 as my mp3 player, or should i purchase a standalone device instead? (assuming that i dont need 20+ gb of music storage.) In addition, how will its battery life be when playing mp3's with the screen turned off?

thanks for reading this. (also, dont reccomend that i buy an ipod.)

jmarctic
03-04-2004, 04:55 AM
My Axim X5 has survived temperatures that hot and hotter in Mexico (in 100% humidity) and Alaska with no ill effect. I carry it with me all day in a day bag or cargo pants pocket. I wouldn't leave it laying in the sun, though. The screen--what you can see--may be questionable anyway in the sun. My Axim is marginal for e-books on the beach. :(

As a former Chicagoan, the weather doesn't really sound much different than a Chicago summer.

arnage2
03-04-2004, 04:57 AM
the weather is a tad cooler in the spring in hawaii 80-85, while in the summer it can hit 90.

anyway, would it help to mention that i plan on purchasing an aluminum case, and the unit has a screen protector?

Janak Parekh
03-04-2004, 05:27 AM
An aluminum case might conduct heat, especially in sunlight. That said, if you keep it out of sunlight or parked cars, you should be OK.

--janak

arnage2
03-04-2004, 05:33 AM
so i should skip the aluminum case. What should i use instead?

Aerestis
03-04-2004, 05:47 AM
i would make sure I had a screen protector in case sand was around and I would make sure I used it in the shade. Then I would make sure I didn't go swimming with it in my pocket still, hehe.

jmarctic
03-04-2004, 06:06 AM
I used an aluminum case and screen protector in Mexico with no problem. The real key is keeping it out of the sun (and sand)!

cftarnas
03-04-2004, 06:44 AM
I'm sure you'll be fine -- I have a feeling that you will not be the first person to use a PPC in the tropics ;)

As a side note I also have an iPod and debated keeping it when I got my new h4300. I decided that the space and play time was worth it for things like a plane trip to asia. The remote also makes it easier to use while at the gym.

-chris

posted on a PPC

arnage2
03-04-2004, 01:17 PM
i had my ipod for 2 months and the finish wore off, the casing got loose, the side dented, and the battery worked when it wanted to. I hate ipod!

cftarnas
03-04-2004, 07:57 PM
i had my ipod for 2 months and the finish wore off, the casing got loose, the side dented, and the battery worked when it wanted to. I hate ipod!

Wow, I've had two (I use one, my GF the other) for the last year with no problems with the finish or the battery. Well to be honest I think the 2nd generation iPods did have a better battery life than the 3rd. I've used them at the gym, walking around SF, road trips halfway across the country and of course business traveling.

You must have had a lemon, but if it was within 2 months of purchase it still is (was) under warranty.

cheers
-chris

Janak Parekh
03-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Wow, I've had two (I use one, my GF the other) for the last year with no problems with the finish or the battery.
Me too. The unit is certainly sensitive to scratches, but I throw it in my pocket and have had virtually zero other problems.

--janak