View Full Version : Don't understand cradle usage.

jneely
03-03-2004, 05:49 PM
I just got my PPC and am learning how to use it, but I'm not sure I understand whay some things work the way they do. For instance:

Why does my PPC wakeup after I explicitly turn it off and leave it in the cradle to charge. Each night a leave it in there and sure enough some time later I hear the ActiveSync sound and it's awake in there lighting up the dark room. And it stays on until morning when I go get it out of the cradle.

Is this the way things are supposed to work?

Is it better to not leave it in the cradle?

Zack Mahdavi
03-03-2004, 06:02 PM
I'm not sure why the iPaq turns on overnight. I've heard that the iPaq wakes up at midnignt to perform some maitenance operations.

To prevent the problem of having the screen light up a dark room, I set the Backlight settings to turn off the backlight after a few minutes. This way, if the iPaq turns on in the cradle, it won't at least light up the whole room. Of course, the annoying Bluetooth light fills up the room.. :)

Jorgen
03-03-2004, 06:08 PM
>I'm not sure why the iPaq turns on overnight. I've heard that the iPaq wakes up at midnignt to perform some maitenance operations.

It has to - for example alarms have to change date.

Jorgen

PPCWanderer
03-03-2004, 08:08 PM
This happens to me with my Toshiba 330. And it doesn't only happen at midnight. It appears to happen every 30-75 minutes. I was thinking that maybe there is something happening with XP and my Motherboard that was causing the USB port to lose connectivity(because I hear the disconnect sound) and when it reconnects it 'finds' the 330 again and resyncs.

baker
03-03-2004, 08:11 PM
I think all PPCs wake up at midnight for date and time, etc. Just part of the OS.

Jorgen
03-04-2004, 12:51 PM
It should only wake up once (to set alarms as I said). This said, theoretically there could be some applications that did their own housecleaning during the night, but I have never heard about such ones.

Jorgen

Steven Cedrone
03-04-2004, 01:54 PM
This happens to me with my Toshiba 330. And it doesn't only happen at midnight. It appears to happen every 30-75 minutes. I was thinking that maybe there is something happening with XP and my Motherboard that was causing the USB port to lose connectivity(because I hear the disconnect sound) and when it reconnects it 'finds' the 330 again and resyncs.

We are talking about two seperate things here..

First: Every Pocket PC does turn on at Midnight, no getting around this!
Second: If your Pocket PC wakes every 1/2 hour (or so), I would check your settings. Do you have it set up to grab email every 1/2 hour?

Steve

Stephen Beesley
03-04-2004, 03:09 PM

We are talking about two seperate things here..

First: Every Pocket PC does turn on at Midnight, no getting around this!
Second: If your Pocket PC wakes every 1/2 hour (or so), I would check your settings. Do you have it set up to grab email every 1/2 hour?

Steve

And as for it staying on until morning, do you have the power preferences set at "never turn off" when on external power?

Steven Cedrone
03-04-2004, 03:21 PM
O.K., so maybe it was more than 2 things! :wink:

Steve

PPCWanderer
03-04-2004, 03:23 PM
The disconnect and connect thing happens while the 330 is sitting in the cradle, turned on and connected to AS. I don't do email using the 330 and I have sync set to run only manually. The power does not go off, AS just stops seeing it and then immediately 'finds' it again, just as if I had lifted the 330 off the cradle and set it back down. It's a funny thing. Not a big deal, just annoying.

dMores
03-04-2004, 04:45 PM
when you turn off your computer, wait a few seconds before you turn your pda off so that activesync can realize it's not connected anymore.
happened with my loox too.