View Full Version : How to install LOTS of stuff?

jneely
03-02-2004, 06:10 PM
Like most, I think I have more stuff that I want to install on my new PPC than I have memory to hold it all. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to cram in as much as possible?

I have one memory card, but is it resonable to buy a second and swap them in and out? I'm most certainly going to install most of my apps onto a memory card rather than use precious internal storage (except for utils that like to live internally).

My estimated usage:
160MB Apps/Utilities
128MB Music
128MB Video(s)
32MB Photos
48MB Data/Documents
192MB Games
...which adds up to more than 650MB! I can't really afford a 1GB SD Card. Is there any way of partitioning this stuff onto 2 cards reasonably?

The Yaz
03-02-2004, 07:20 PM
There are three ways to tackle your space issue:

1) Prioritize how many songs/videos you will use on any given day. I find that I can usually refresh my pda collection in 20 minutes at night.

2) Buy a zip file manager for your pocketpc. The full featured ones will compress/uncompress the files as you need them which will probably save you 20-30% on your storage.

3)While this doesn't work with all of my games, I find that once you install a game to your storage card, you can move the file out to your desktop. Later when you want to play the game, take the folder and return it to the storage card. This way you are not constantly installing/uninstalling the programs.

If you can swing a 512mb sd card, I think the zip utility should get you close to making your goal of installing all of it possible.

Until that next game comes along...

Steve 8)