View Full Version : How do I copyright my work?

pacemkr
03-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Here is the situation.
I've created a computer program and a website for it.
Now how does the whole copyright process work? Do I just state that the images on this site and the entire site as a matter of fact should not be copied without my permission or do I need some papers to back me up.
As for the program, I have an about window there that gives me credit for it. Do I have to have a licence for my software. Meaning should it say, distributed under such and such terms/licence.

Thanks in advance.

PetiteFlower
03-02-2004, 04:19 AM
All original works are automatically copyrighted, you can go ahead and put the (c) notice on your site. You don't have to register it or anything. Trademarks and patents need to be registered but those are different then copyright. You are automatically protected if someone else dls your software and then tries to market it as their own.

This is in the US of course. Can't speak to elsewhere.

pacemkr
03-02-2004, 04:28 AM
Thank you very much for the information.
I've seen some of those offers to copyright your whole site for $99 online within minutes and did not believe that its necessary/true (copyright within minutes? I think copyrighting should be a long process), but I couldn't confirm it. Now I know its bs, Thanks.