View Full Version : compact flash vs. microdrive

sp0om
03-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Hello everybody :D

over the weekend, I was flipping through a ppc magazine and found an interesting article on microdrives. I've seen these on ebay, but i never knew they were compatible with cf slots.

i was planning on getting a 1gb compact flash card, which would put me down about 200 dollars. and then i found out that i can get a 2gb microdrive for the same amount of money.

this article said that the microdrive consumes power. the power consumption specs meant nothing to me cause i didnt understand them at all, so my question is: do microdrives consume a lot of power, like say a 802.11 card? if i want to use my ppc to watch movies and such, would the slightly higher battery life with a cf card be better than that of a micro drive?

edit: i just saw that other thread about micro drives (didnt mean to repost soething), and it seems they cost only 164. more reason to get one, or is it? im really concerned about how much these things affect battery life.

Janak Parekh
03-01-2004, 06:35 PM
do microdrives consume a lot of power, like say a 802.11 card? if i want to use my ppc to watch movies and such, would the slightly higher battery life with a cf card be better than that of a micro drive?
Yes, they do, especially if you let them run for sustained periods of time. Some playback programs let you "cache" from the Microdrive in RAM so that you can save on battery life, but if you don't, expect significant battery drain while you're accessing the MD.

--janak