View Full Version : 2.2GB CF? It says compatible with, but its USB? And its $300CAD

JustinGTP
03-01-2004, 03:58 AM
Hello!

I just recently came across this memory type at TigerDirect.ca, and it says its USB 2.0 and that it supports CF+ Type II. What does that mean? Does this mean it works in a CF Slot? And it has an interesting picture!

Found here:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=166307

cost-effective storage for digital still cameras, notebook PC, digital media players, handheld camera and other portable devices
Capacity: 2.2GB
Interface: CF+ Type II

Am I getting confused, but it does show the lid flip up on the device.

Any thoughts on this?

-Justin.

Palm Cow
03-01-2004, 04:29 AM
It looks like it's a CF card that comes with a USB card reader ... so yes, it should work with your PDA.

JustinGTP
03-01-2004, 04:55 AM
It looks like it's a CF card that comes with a USB card reader ... so yes, it should work with your PDA.

So 300 canadian dollars for 2.2GB?

Ben Stark
03-01-2004, 05:03 AM
Looks like a MicroDrive in a reader. That's a major rip-off. You can get a 2.2 GB MD for less than half that or even a solid state 2 GB CF card for much less. Major rip-off!

If you want a MD, get a 4GB MuVo2. 4GB for $200 US. Or, spend that same money on a solid state card.

JustinGTP
03-01-2004, 05:09 AM
Looks like a MicroDrive in a reader. That's a major rip-off. You can get a 2.2 GB MD for less than half that or even a solid state 2 GB CF card for much less. Major rip-off!

If you want a MD, get a 4GB MuVo2. 4GB for $200 US. Or, spend that same money on a solid state card.

I can see what you are saying, but the new MuVos are supposed to be new versions that cannot be canablized and taken apart.

I'll see what I can get.

Thanks,

Justin.

maikii
03-01-2004, 06:01 AM
Yes, any CF card should fit in a PPC CF card slot, and should work.

"It's USB". Well, a CF card "isn't USB", it's a CF card. PRobably means a CF card reader is bundled with it.

I don't know the current rate of exchange Canadian to US dollars, but I didn't think it was two to one. In US dollars a 2.2 GB CF card goes for $164. (albeit not bundled with a memory card reader, but you can find those quite cheap). For example, go to www.pricewatch.com, and under Memory, choose Flash Memory, Compact Flash, 2.2 GB, and you will see it priced for $164, for example at: http://www.memorylabs.net/comflasmem.html

Amazing how memory prices drop. A year ago 512 MB would have probably cost that much.

Steven Cedrone
03-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Some devices have a Type I slot (my old Jornada did). You have a 2215 right? that is a Type II slot (it will take both Type I and Type II cards)

Type I is 3.3mm thick
Type II is 5mm thick

The USB reader that it comes with, is a USB 2.0 reader.

Steve