View Full Version : SD Card Speeds

jneely
02-29-2004, 03:24 AM
Is there any advantage to using a "high-speed" SD card on a Pocket PC? In other words, does the SD interface on Pocket PCs support anything faster than standard SD speed?

Specifically, I've seen SD Cards like the Sandisk Ultra II line that claim 9-10MB/sec speed vs. the standard 3-4MB/sec speed....

arnage2
02-29-2004, 05:04 AM
ive never noticed any change in speed between cards.

WyattEarp
02-29-2004, 05:40 AM
Devices that are SDIO are faster than standard SD I believe. But as far as the card itself; the faster cards are made for picture taking which requires fast access times. But everything does help even a little bit.

dhettel
02-29-2004, 06:43 AM
Is there any advantage to using a "high-speed" SD card on a Pocket PC? In other words, does the SD interface on Pocket PCs support anything faster than standard SD speed?

Specifically, I've seen SD Cards like the Sandisk Ultra II line that claim 9-10MB/sec speed vs. the standard 3-4MB/sec speed....

It's just my opinion, but my experience, is YES! A faster card does make a difference. Until you have used a fast SD and a slow SD card in the same device, you'll not understand the difference. Like lots of claims, I don't think you'll experience any card to be as fast as claimed.

I have noticed in my devices, that I see a lot less, lock-ups or what appear to be lock-ups when using a faster SD and CF card.

SHoTTa35
02-29-2004, 08:00 AM
ask me in about 2 weeks when i'll have my new pda... iPAQ 4155 and a Sandisk Ultra 2 256MB card... i can compare verses a regular 256MB one. I have a database on the card so it loads up alot of info when you start the program. When i moved the folder from the system to the SD card it took like an extra 5 - 10 seconds to open.. SO when i get this new card i'll see if it opens almost as fast as when it's on the PDA memory (some of the 64MB) itself..

(anyone know how fast that is? write/read speeds? and did Jason review the 4155 just yet?)