View Full Version : Installing Apps onto Cards

jneely
02-29-2004, 01:27 AM
Some really basic questions since I just got my first PPC. I only have a single card slot (h4150), but what's the best way to use it...

1) Is it possible (and if so, is it practical) to install apps onto multiple cards and switch them in and out as needed? For example, can I install audio/video apps on one card and then only pop it in when I want to play back audio/video? Leaving in another card for other apps.
(it's cheaper to buy two 512MB cards than a single 1GB ;-)

2) Can the cards be removed and/or inserted without powering off the PDA?

3) Are the cards just "mounted" under a directory in the file hierarchy?

4) When you install an app, does it essentially work like on a Windows desktop where files are copied into the target dir and then some registry entries are stored centrally? Does this mean that if I remove a card with an installed app, will I get something to the effect of "xyz.exe cannot be found" (since the sd card's dir is now empty) when I try to launch the app?

Thanks in advance.

Palm Cow
02-29-2004, 01:47 AM
1) I believe it's possible, but only practical if you mind juggling SD cards. A 256 SD card is enough for me, and I like to just leave it in (taking it out makes me fear dropping it or something). If you feel comfortable with this, it's probably fine.

2) Yes, at least on my Toshiba.

3) Well, from your desktop, if you go to My Device, then My Pocket PC, the SD card is just a folder there. Is that what you're asking? On your Pocket PC's File Explorer, you tap the thing in the upper-right ("My Device") and it drops down a menu from which you can select your SD card (for me it has my CF card too, because of my dual expansion).

4) I haven't expiremented with anything except MP3's, documents, spreadsheets, etc. on the card, as in, no programs. I have no clue.

cml
02-29-2004, 02:06 AM
4) When you install an app, does it essentially work like on a Windows desktop where files are copied into the target dir and then some registry entries are stored centrally? Does this mean that if I remove a card with an installed app, will I get something to the effect of "xyz.exe cannot be found" (since the sd card's dir is now empty) when I try to launch the app?

You have it correct -- you get an app cannot be found message if it isn't installed on the card.

arnage2
02-29-2004, 07:27 AM
on my 2215, i had pocket tunes installed on a card. I removed the card once, and accidentally started the program. After awhile, every time i would turn on the unit, it would say: Cant find pockettunes.exe in an error message. Thus, a tip. Never remove the card while loading software installed on it.