View Full Version : Wireless MMX added to XScale Tools

Jonathon Watkins
02-25-2004, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/35793.html' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/35793.html</a><br /><br /></div>The Register reports that Intel is getting ready to announce (and hopefully ship) its next-generation XScale processor, codenamed "Bulverde. <br /><br />"The part may have failed to warrant a mention during the appropriate Intel Developer Forum keynote last week, but today the chip giant began shipping the software tools needed to write applications and drivers. that will support the new chip." <br /><br />"Central to the $2999 suite is Intel's C++ Compiler for PCA Processors 1.2, which adds support for Wireless MMX, Bulverde's new multimedia manipulation instructions. Based on the Pentium processor's MMX instructions, Wireless MMX extends the ARM ISA on which XScale CPUs are based."<br /><br />All signs are that we should be seeing some faster, more efficient new mobile processors soon. Good stuff.

c38b2
02-25-2004, 03:28 AM
$3000? 8O I guess I don't know how much these things typically go for, byt $3000 sounds like a lot for anyone to pay for a C++ compiler...

arnage2
02-25-2004, 03:29 AM
i want wireless mmx! could that mean that a windows 98 emu/simulator is theoredically possible?

dlangton
02-25-2004, 03:50 AM
I like the (and hopefully ship) part. :lol:

Jonathon Watkins
02-25-2004, 04:01 AM
Hey, Intel announcing something is a big deal!!!!!

Shipping counts as a bonus these days! :wink:

egads
02-25-2004, 04:39 AM
$3000? 8O I guess I don't know how much these things typically go for, byt $3000 sounds like a lot for anyone to pay for a C++ compiler...

$3000 is cheap compaired to some C compilers I've seen. Check out MetroWorks for PowerPC's, GreenHill's for PowerPC, and Keil's 8051 tools.

I've seen single seats running for $12,000 (All the bell's and whistles includes).

Their target is not the hobbiest !!!

Aerestis
02-25-2004, 06:35 AM
Yeah... My 3d animation and modeling package cost well over that price, software these days can be sooo expensive. I really wish I could get into this stuff, but I don't really have 3000 dollars handy :lol:

Duncan
02-25-2004, 09:21 PM
The Register reports that Intel is getting ready to announce (and hopefully ship) its next-generation XScale processor, codenamed "Bulverde.

Sounds like they are hitting their original deadlines after all - which means we may well still see some Bulverde releases in May...

Jonathon Watkins
02-25-2004, 11:03 PM
May, what an interesting date. Why would they need them then? :wink:

Duncan
02-26-2004, 01:20 AM
May, what an interesting date. Why would they need them then? :wink:

Oh, just a date plucked out of thin air... honest...! :wink:

Talon
02-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Unless manufacturers take advantage of it the extra instructions don't have any effect. Intel may have a compiler that uses them but does Microsoft?
Also remember these are not ARM instructions, any program that makes use of them will only run on a CPU that supportes them. We're back into the situation that we had when there were 3 different CPU types in PDAs, multiple versions of each program.

The bulk of the advantages will be if/when manufacturers produce GFX dll's that make use of the new instructions. That way a generic program will gain an advantage without losing any compatability with non-bulverde hardware.

So just like when MMX first came out don't expect any great jump because of wireless MMX. Just a gradual improvment as people slowly take advantage of them.

Obviously Bulverde includes a few other changes to the Xscale design but that's still all under NDA.

Jonathon Watkins
02-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Obviously Bulverde includes a few other changes to the Xscale design but that's still all under NDA.

OK, interesting.

Hopefully we will be able to share the extra info as soon as it is allowable. :)

Talon
03-01-2004, 07:16 AM
The register is probably a better source than I am, they normally break the news long before the NDAs go away. Assuming the think there is anything extra worth reporting.

But I am disapointed with my TI rep, she never mentioned the OMAP 2. I have all the data on the new OMAP 1 parts (also under NDA) and was expecting TI to pitch those against the Bulverde, that looks like it would have given bulverde a run for it's money. If nothing else TI know how to avoid memory bottlenecks in CPUs.
These OMAP 2's look much the same but a different ARM core and some improvments to the graphics hardware.

Intell add MMX to speed up multi media, TI add a 200+MHz DSP and dedicated hardware. This could get interesting if people can be convinced to move away from raw MHz.