View Full Version : Need some general Pocket PC questions answered

sp0om
02-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Hello

I am a pocket pc devotee and want to buy a new one soon mainly for entertainment purposes. My budget is around 500 dollars for the pocket pc itself and accessories, so here are my questions:

1. i want to get a 1gb compact flash card for it. are all pocket pcs with compact flash card slots compatible with 1gb compact flash cards? i would assume so, but i just want to make sure

actually that is my only question. now i have a request:

what is a good pocket pc that meets my needs:
300+mhz
compact flash slot
multi button press (on my last pocket pc, i had a very difficult time playing games on it because i couldnt press a directional button at the same time as pressing an action button. very very difficult to play games without the unit having multiple button press and i just wanted to make sure my next pocket pc has this feature)

if there is a decently priced ppc out there taht meets the things i have listed above, please let me know :)

EDIT: one last thing. are refurbished pocket pcs good to buy in general?

Jason Dunn
02-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Welcome to the site. :-)

Yes, all Pocket PCs with a CF card slot will support your 1 GB CF card.

I'm not enough of a gamer to know the answer to your multiple button press answer, so I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that.

arnage2
02-24-2004, 10:57 PM
look for an asus a620. It has multiple button press, cf, and speed. (400mhz) http://proportable.g2.cc/mypala620customize.asp has it for $30 off. ($320) A great deal.

sp0om
02-24-2004, 11:03 PM
thanks for the welcome and answering my quesetion jason :)

@ARNAGE2: that seems a little steep for the features it has. the toshiba e740 has all of that and built in wireless and is cheaper (on ebay at least). anyone know if the e740 is a worthwhile investment?

JonnoB
02-24-2004, 11:36 PM
thanks for the welcome and answering my quesetion jason :)

@ARNAGE2: that seems a little steep for the features it has. the toshiba e740 has all of that and built in wireless and is cheaper (on ebay at least). anyone know if the e740 is a worthwhile investment?

If you want to use the device for games, the 740 is alot slower than the 620. There is a big leap in video performance on the ASUS line. Also, the 740 is 2002 and not WM2003 (current OS) which brings even more improvements.

Partita
02-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Asus A760 + second hand 1GB CF.

JonnoB
02-25-2004, 12:35 AM
EDIT: one last thing. are refurbished pocket pcs good to buy in general?

They can be as long as you get all of the needed accessories (like new) and it comes with a warranty. Also, you want to avoid devices with the older OS (2002, etc)