View Full Version : opening files over wireless

spawn_x
02-24-2004, 08:59 PM
any trick to opening files located on the network without copying them onto my PDA ?

i want the ability to open files on the computers at work.... thanks.

p.s. these are regular files like .txt and excell..

JonnoB
02-25-2004, 01:59 AM
any trick to opening files located on the network without copying them onto my PDA ?

Consider mapping them (network shares) to your file system. I know products like Resco Explorer have this built in, but you could also try one of the freeware apps to create a NETWORK storage card.

c38b2
02-25-2004, 03:50 AM
ActiveSync's PassThrough connection allows you to use the Internet from your docked PPC... does it also allow network connections to other computers in the network? If so, how do you access a network drive?

spawn_x
02-25-2004, 04:00 AM

Consider mapping them (network shares) to your file system. I know products like Resco Explorer have this built in, but you could also try one of the freeware apps to create a NETWORK storage card.

i don't think you understood what i mean.. i have resco explorer.. the problem is not in browsing folders, its in opening files directly off the network.

i can't/don't want to MAP each one because i'm sure there's an easier/better way of doing it.. thanks

JonnoB
02-25-2004, 04:13 AM
i don't think you understood what i mean.. i have resco explorer.. the problem is not in browsing folders, its in opening files directly off the network.

i can't/don't want to MAP each one because i'm sure there's an easier/better way of doing it.. thanks

You don't map each file, just each share... then with Resco Explorer, select the option to have the Network as a part of your device and not at the root. This way, you can select from the Network resource from your application itself. In fact, if you name one of your mapped shares as 'My Documents' it will show all of the contents there by default for those apps that use the standard file dialog. I don't recomend this however as it will make your device slow.

spawn_x
02-25-2004, 03:00 PM
so instead of browsing the network and opening files i have to map out each share?

there's gotta be a solution...

JonnoB
02-25-2004, 05:17 PM
so instead of browsing the network and opening files i have to map out each share?

there's gotta be a solution...

Yes, for now... because in the current OS, network resources cannot be browsed from the standard file dialog unless they were already referenced in a share. I wish it weren't the case.

spawn_x
02-25-2004, 05:20 PM
what do you mean cannot be browsed? i can browse my network just fine, even without the resco explorer..

JonnoB
02-25-2004, 05:23 PM
what do you mean cannot be browsed? i can browse my network just fine, even without the resco explorer..

Not from the standard open-file dialog before making a drive mapping. The File Explorer, although it can browse shares fine cannot be used to open files on the share unless they are mapped to a Network resource first.