View Full Version : 2215 or 4155. Pros and cons

jook00
02-24-2004, 02:26 AM
Should I get the 2215 or the 4155 ipaq?
I believe 2215 is $400 and 4155 is $500?
What are the differences between the two?

JonnoB
02-24-2004, 02:43 AM
Pros:
Dual slot
Fast
Small
BT built-in
Great screen

Cons:
No integrated WiFi
Sides come off after a while

Pros:
Integrated WiFi
Even Smaller
BT built-in
OK screen

Cons:
No CF slot
People have complained about a yellow hue to the LCD

Both will take the same thumboard, but it fits better on the 221x

jook00
02-24-2004, 03:15 AM
:?: If there is no WiFi, how do I get internet connection? How does Bluetooth work?

Jacob
02-24-2004, 03:23 AM
You would have to get a WiFi card to get WiFi on the 2215.

I might be biased, but I think the 4155 has a very good screen and is quite speedy.

Others will have their opinions though. I would take a look at some reviews with some benchmarks.

The cons of the 4155 is that there is the infamous "yellow screen problem" - if you hold the screen at some angles you see a yellow tint. I find these angles to be angles where I rarely hold it, so it's not a real problem for me.

Other than that, I love this thing.

bigkingfun
02-24-2004, 06:01 AM
I just bought a 4150 today and chose it over the 2210 primarily because of the built-in wifi. After spending the afternoon with it, I must say it is a great PPC.

I upgraded from a 5450, which was one of the first x-scale based models. The 4150 is noticeably faster for average use and from the benchmarks I've seen it is much faster for multimedia playback as well. I haven't really tried a 2210 but the 4150 is plenty fast.

I don't use CF media, so the lack of a CF slot makes no difference to me. I have noticed the yellow tint to the screen at certain angles, but I think mainly because I was expecting it after reading a bunch of reviews before buying it. I don't know that I would have noticed it had I not expected it, because the angles that I need to view it in order to notice the yellow are not angles I would normally look at it from.

The only other complaint I have, really, is that I don't like the slipcase that comes with it. I find in order to pull it out of the case, I have to be extra careful not to press the voice record button. I think I've had this same complaint about almost every other PPC I've owned - none of them have come with a really useful case, IMHO. It's nothing a good aftermarket case can't fix.

The thing I like most about this model is the size. I was perfectly happy with my 5450 until I picked up a Tungsten T3 to see how the other side lives. It only took me a few hours to decide I still didn't care for the Palm OS, but the size got me hooked. I'm amazed at how much is stuffed into this little 4150.

arnage2
02-24-2004, 01:15 PM
get a 4xxx series. I found that is the ultimate in form and function.

darrylb
02-24-2004, 05:44 PM
I might be biased, but I think the 4155 has a very good screen and is quite speedy.

The cons of the 4155 is that there is the infamous "yellow screen problem" - if you hold the screen at some angles you see a yellow tint. I find these angles to be angles where I rarely hold it, so it's not a real problem for me.

I migrated from a 2210 to a 4150, and I agree with Jacob regarding the screen. I picked up a 2210 yesterday and remembered my initial impression of the 4150 - that was that the colours on the screen are brighter and more vibrant than on the 2210, which looks quite washed out. The issue everyone bemoans is indeed the yellow screen issue, but I've never noticed it.

I say the 4150 is the better device because of size and built in WiFi. Size really does count.

Just my 2c....