View Full Version : Would you install a .NET based application?

codepunk
02-23-2004, 10:57 PM
I'm a developer looking at creating another application (I've done 2 so far). What are your thoughts concerning applications written using the .NET Compact Framework.

Jacob
02-23-2004, 11:03 PM
I usually wouldn't.

It tends to slow stuff down, plus there's the additional space taken up by the framework.

I voted for #3, but it's really a combo of the bottom three.

smileyguy
02-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Since I am still stuck in the stone age of PPC's (Casio EM-500) and limited to only 16MB of RAM, of which I only have 5MB left after a soft reset, .NET is nowhere on my radar. Maybe if I can convince the wife that I NEED a new device, I might consider it.

ombu
02-23-2004, 11:20 PM
I thought it was already in ROM for WM2003, am I right?

codepunk
02-23-2004, 11:28 PM

Yes. I guess I should have added a poll option of "Yes since I already have .NET CF in ROM". So the only other choice you have to decide on is if you perceive the speed to be different than a non .NET app.

Jacob
02-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Sorry, If forgot it was in ROM in WM2003.

In that case, I'd definitely try it. My experience hasn't been good in the past, but I've never tried an app that used it on WM2003.

ombu
02-24-2004, 12:16 AM

Yes. I guess I should have added a poll option of "Yes since I already have .NET CF in ROM". So the only other choice you have to decide on is if you perceive the speed to be different than a non .NET app.

Here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=359EA6DA-FC5D-41CC-AC04-7BB50A134556&displaylang=en) is an update download for .NET Compact Framework, as I understand this runs in RAM, if so and if needed, I won't use more space for things that should be in ROM (Messenger, Reader updates i.e.), maybe a WM2003 ROM update will be here soon.

Regards.

Palm Cow
02-24-2004, 12:39 AM
I think that is was in the ROM of my 2k2 Toshiba e550G too, or it auto-installed it.

I make my own apps with VB.NET (for my own use) and they're fine, run plenty fast for me. I've gotten a few (crappy) flight sims to work :D.

buckyg
02-24-2004, 04:32 AM
We have an app we use on our work iPAQs to gather customer data in the field. It works very well. Granted, it was custom written.

The only drawback is that these are PPC2002 machines, so the framework does take up RAM.

Until I showed the project manager the backup utility, it was a pain because the field guys are forever letting the battery completely drain. So then he has to step them through a full reload, including the step to reload the .NET framework.

Otherwise, it's been a positive experience.

woffles
02-24-2004, 01:31 PM
I've used a couple of apps running .NET and everyone of them were slow to load and slow to update if they had to read in new data. I wish I had a corner on the market so I could foist something like .NET on the consumer and get away with it!

Flynn Arrowstarr
02-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Granted, I'm biased since I write software in .NetCF, but here goes...

The framework is actually well-written and well-behaved. I have had very few problems running NetCF SP 2 on my Dell Axim X3. The only problems I have had were caused by stupid coding mistakes on my part :)

Still, even on a Jornada 548, the NetCF was outperforming code I had written in eVB (compiled vs. interpreted, no memory leaks from creating and destroying objects) -- especially in database apps. SQL Server CE is much faster for data access than Pocket Access. And, with ADO.NET, it's easier to access and manage that data than using ADOCE and ADOXCE.

I realize some of that may be Greek to non-developers, but I just had to add in my two cents :D

Flynn